Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Right now we live in a small apartment and have a small kenwood all in one htib that works ok for this small room. We are moving to another bigger, yet still still small place with a living room of around 18 x 20 ish so we want to upgrade our home theater system so I am here for suggestions. We are looking for a receiver for around 400-500 and I think we are leaning toward, but not limited to the pioneer 811 from the reviews that I have seen on it here and elsewhere. We are also looking for a good speaker setup. We are looking to spend 500-600 on all the speakers if we can. I see that a lot of people reccommend the jbl n series and we are going to go listen to those this weekend. We were thinking of buying the jbl nsp1 speakers and then adding either the jbl n38 or nd310 floorstanding speakers down the road. For a sub, I have seen many suggested. I don't know much about them. Which would be the best way to go with my budget? I see people suggesting the sony, audiosource from ubid, and I see jbl makes a 12" sub as well. Any suggestions on any direction I should head with any of these components will be greatly appreciated. I will be using the system for 30% music 70% ht. I also have xbox, ps2, and cube. I will be watching it all on a 32" jvc D-series television. Thanks in advance for any comments/advice you may have for me!!

--Petro

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I've never actually heard this following system, but have heard very good things about it:

The Onkyo HTS755DVC.

You can read a review of it at C-Net.com. It looks like the whole thing will be around the $1,000 mark, which is what your budget for the receiver and speakers seems like.

I'll also add that I'm usually quite the component snob, and I would generally recommend to friends that they go the component route, saying that, "Well, XXX might make a good receiver, but they don't make good speakers, etc." and that "pre-fab" kits are inferior, etc. But, this just seems like a great deal, and I would recommend it to people looking to get all these things at a great price, but yet not sacrifice quality. Also, the speakers aren't your usual dinky satellite ones, but good sized bookshelf-looking ones. Onkyo is a good brand, and check out all that you get for $1000!

The Onkyo TX-SR600, a 6.1 digital receiver with 80 watts per channel that is usually $400-$500 by itself!

a 5-DVD changer

6 speakers and a subwoofer!

That's a good deal.

Certainly there are also other ways to spend $1000 and get some good speakers and a decent receiver, but this is got to be one of the better deals out there.

And if you don't need a DVD player or the 6th speaker, try the Onkyo HT-S650 - it's like 1/2 the price - save the other $500 and get yourself a ton of DVDs!

Well, I hope I didn't come off sounding TOO much like a guy who works for Onkyo (for the record, I don't work for Onkyo or any place that sells them).

Alright, hope that helps.

William

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will have to check those out this weekend. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

--Petro

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.