Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to spend ~$2500 on my 5.1 speaker set up. I have the following:

52" Sharp Aquos LCD

Marantz 6003 AVR

PS3

HD Tivo

The room I'm in is 20' x 16'. I'd put my breakdown as 40% DVR'd TV shows, 30% video games, 20% Blu-Ray DVD, 10% music.

Ideally, I'm thinking of spending more on a center and fronts (~$1750) and less on surrounds and sub ($750 for all).

Companies that I like are Def Tech and Paradigm.

I'd love to hear the opinions of other people who have systems for about this much.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Usually when someone puts an emphasis on the front speakers its because music is a primary concern. Your music listening is only 10%.

How loud do you listen to music? Movies? Games?

Unless that 10% is the most important part of your use, I would suggest a set of speakers like these:

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=25

Or these:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster175.html

Or put your own setup together from various parts and pieces. I'm sure you will get more suggestions from other members here once your preferences are more well known.

As much as you watch movies you may want to reconsider how much you spend on a sub. It is probably the most single important part of an otherwise good sounding HT setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'd rather not mix and match my fronts and centers if possible, as I've heard bad things on this forum about that.

To make sure I have it right, are you suggesting that I shouldn't worry as much about the L/R speakers for movies/games, and focus more on a good center and sub?

Thanks! Any other comments from you or other would be great!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stick with the same company and preferably the same line for the front 3 and I prefer a matched set all around, pans from side surrounds to mains that are out of timbre irritate me.

I would sugest building a system with the front 3 as best as you can and add the sub and surrounds at a later date, you will end up with a system that is better than you could put together right now.

I prefer the Paradigm sound and as such found Axiomaudio to be very similar at cheaper prices, but you have listed a couple of very good companies go with which ever you like the best, if possible try to get them home for a demo before buying or at least make sure you can return them in case they don't sound as good in your home as they do in the store.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I suggest listening to some DefTechs and Paradigms. They're pretty much everywhere these days so finding a dealer shouldn't be much of a problem. I particularly like the BP series with the integrated subs. Adding a third sub later on crossed low gives such a smooth bass response with excellent mid bass dynamics from the BP towers. Some don't care for the bipolar radiation though, so take a listen for yourself. A pair of 7006 towers, 1.4 surrounds and a CLR 2002 center will run you about $2200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts