AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put together a decent home theater set up. I am definitely going with 5.1 for my small apartment (12 by 15 room). I would really like to get quality sound is does not have to be booming loud.

So far I have looked at:

AV recievers: pioneer vsx-920, onkyo 607, leaning towards pioneer

speakers: polk RM6750, jamo s413, or klipsch hd theater 300

(I know a lot of people will recommend energy but i cannot find them anywhere for a good price for my budget)

I also need to avoid huge speakers with my apartment.

My budget is at MAX 500 but I would like to keep it under. 80% movies 15% ps3 5% music

Thanks and any suggestions at all are hugely appreciated!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos12 /forum/post/19595934

I am trying to put together a decent home theater set up. I am definitely going with 5.1 for my small apartment (12 by 15 room). I would really like to get quality sound is does not have to be booming loud.

So far I have looked at:

(I know a lot of people will recommend energy but i cannot find them anywhere for a good price for my budget)

My budget is at MAX 500 but I would like to keep it under. 80% movies 15% ps3 5% music

is it just $500 for speakers? or does this budget include your receiver? Personally I would go with Jamo over Polk or Klipsch. Otherwise you could get the Energy Take 5.1 for $399 AND the Onkyo 508 at www.accessories4less.com for $189

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am trying to stay under 500 for both the reciever and speakers combined. I do not mind buying a refurbished receiver. If I am not going to be playing movies at super high volumes, will I really be able to tell the difference between say the polks/jamo and the energy take 5s?

400 just for speakers seems out of my price range. Any other good speaker choices?

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos12 /forum/post/19595934

So far I have looked at:

These are a good deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290147

and it leaves you more to spend on a receiver. You should look at the Harman/Karden ebay site for that.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos12 /forum/post/19596254

Is this a better system than the 6750? Does this come with a subwoofer? I only see 5 speakers included

No that set doesn't come with a subwoofer

I have a Polk RM6750 5.1 set in my 14.75' x 13.5' living room which is completely open to my kitchen and that set up does quite well

Its a great entry level 5.1 system and in my opinion better sounding than the Polk RM85, RM75, and RM705

Basic surround sound the RM6750 exceeds at. I just watched "The Expendables" blu-ray tonight and I was still blown away with the sound quality of this system.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos12 /forum/post/19596254

Is this a better system than the 6750? Does this come with a subwoofer? I only see 5 speakers included

No that is not as good of a system as the 6750.

Have you considered buying your setup more slowly as funds allow and getting the receiver and Front L/R speakers and then adding a center, surrounds and Sub as funds allow?

That is exactly what I am doing with my high-end Dynaudio setup.

You could get a pair of Energy CB-10s and the Onkyo 607, and then add a CC-10 and CB5 later one. then get a good sub, say a BIC or Premier Acoustics PA120, or buy a Dayton sub at parts express.com they are like $150

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have the funds available to buy a better system than what I described, but I just cannot allocate that much money towards a sound system. I am definitely not an audiophile by any means so would I really be able to tell the difference between a lot of these higher end systems? I have never had any sort of speaker system before so anything I get will be a major upgrade.

Am I using my budget wisely? (300 for receiver, 200 for speakers)

If there are any good speakers under 500 I would not mind buying used or waiting to find a good deal on an ebay auction to keep it under budget.

Thanks for the help so far this is great!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19597776

Possibly. The best $200 5.1 system is the Polk RM6750 set you spend more money you get more but from my experience I know the Polk will get the job done in your room

so should i pull the trigger on the speakers or are there any worthwhile alternatives that would be a big step up if im willing to go up to 250-300?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos12 /forum/post/19597479

I do have the funds available to buy a better system than what I described, but I just cannot allocate that much money towards a sound system. I am definitely not an audiophile by any means so would I really be able to tell the difference between a lot of these higher end systems? I have never had any sort of speaker system before so anything I get will be a major upgrade.

Am I using my budget wisely? (300 for receiver, 200 for speakers)

If there are any good speakers under 500 I would not mind buying used or waiting to find a good deal on an ebay auction to keep it under budget.

Thanks for the help so far this is great!

If you heard the RM6750s next to any other decent entry level bookshelfs speakers you would certianly notice a huge difference. I would spend $200 on a receiver and $300 on speakers if it was me.

Let me tell you in my experience, I like you, started with a sat speaker system, then bought sony speakers, then Energys speakers, then to the Dynaudios I have now..... My point being, you will want to upgrade, the satelites won't keep you happy for very long.

You much better off getting a pair of Energy CB10s and a CC10 and getting surrounds and a sub later as you save. OR go to newegg.com and get the Polk Monitor specials. I think for $300 you could get the Monitor 50s, CS1 and PSW 10 Sub. Then get the Onkyo 508 I posted above. Later buy a pair of $50 surrounds.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos12 /forum/post/19598559

so should i pull the trigger on the speakers or are there any worthwhile alternatives that would be a big step up if im willing to go up to 250-300?

No....THe Polks are of an older generation and use to cost around 500-600 when they first came out. So they are at a bargain now for $200 at Newegg.com till 12/6.

Newegg is clearing out their inventory to make room for the new Polk TL 5.1 package.

If you had $400 to spend on speakers there are better alternatives like the Energy Take Classic 5.1 or RC-Micro 5.1

If you could push your budget to $600 here is what I would suggest:

-2pair x Polk Monitor 30's for fronts and surrounds

-Polk CS10 center channel

-Polk PSW10 subwoofer (pretty weak as far as subwoofer go but slightly better than the one with the RM6750)

-Poineer VSX-820-k Receiver

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Listen man you most certainly will be buying something better than TV speakers. However, those Polks are an entry level set. If you absolutely don't want to spend any more money and want better sound than TV speakers, these will work just fine for you. Do remember that it's entry level and you could do way better by spending more money. It does not take an audiophile to hear the difference between a very entry level system and a $1000 (still considered cheap) system. If you dont want to spend more money, spend $200 on the receiver and the other $300 on the Polk system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19599475

No....THe Polks are of an older generation and use to cost around 500-600 when they first came out. So they are at a bargain now for $200 at Newegg.com till 12/6.

Newegg is clearing out their inventory to make room for the new Polk TL 5.1 package.

If you had $400 to spend on speakers there are better alternatives like the Energy Take Classic 5.1 or RC-Micro 5.1

If you could push your budget to $600 here is what I would suggest:

-2pair x Polk Monitor 30's for fronts and surrounds

-Polk CS10 center channel

-Polk PSW10 subwoofer (pretty weak as far as subwoofer go but slightly better than the one with the RM6750)

-Poineer VSX-820-k Receiver

I could actually put the speakers you just mentioned together for 378 delivered after a ton of searching; the vsx 820 just barely pushes me above 600. So this system would beat out the energy take classics? and i would really be able to tell that its much better than my prior plan of getting a better receiver like the 920 or onkyo 608 (refurbished) and RM 6750s?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos12 /forum/post/19600051

I could actually put the speakers you just mentioned together for 378 delivered after a ton of searching; the vsx 820 just barely pushes me above 600. So this system would beat out the energy take classics? and i would really be able to tell that its much better than my prior plan of getting a better receiver like the 920 or onkyo 608 (refurbished) and RM 6750s?

The speaker system will be better than the energy takes. It will be able to have a lower cross over at 80hz which improves sound

And yes it will be better.

Do yourself an ifnor the budget Onkyo's refurbished the Denon AVR-1611 is a better budget receiver when refurbished at $250 w/o shipping

You can read the differences in the Pioneer's here: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-33983132.html

What sources are you hooking up to your receiver?

--------------------------------------------------------

VSX-820

# 5.1 AV receiver, 110 watts per channel

# 4 HDMI 1.4 inputs

# 3D-compatible (able to pass 3D HDMI signal from 3D Blu-ray player to 3D TV)

# Onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, plus Dolby ProLogic IIz decoding

# Bluetooth-ready (can stream Bluetooth audio from compatible A2DP devices with $100 AS-BT100 adapter)

# Advanced Sound Retriever and Automatic Level Control processing

# iPhone/iPod compatibility via USB, using included cable

# Basic onscreen display (text-only)

# Automatic speaker calibration

# Sirius-ready

VSX-920 improvements

# 7.1 AV receiver, 110 watts per channel

# Analog video upconversion

# Full color graphical user interface

# Anchor Bay video processing (ABT1015)

# Two channel PQLS

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its going to be almost exclusively the ps3 for blueray, dvds, and games. Also will hook up a laptop to watch shows online. I also have an ipod which makes the pioneer attractive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19600307

Do you have a game system that does have an HDMI? If so you are going to want to spend more money on a receiver that can output analog signals through HDMI the VSX-820 can't do that

I don't only the ps3, but does the upscaling work if i hookup my laptop and am playing a movie from online?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the setup previously described looks great. But some questions ....

Do you have to match front and surrounds?

Which receiver should i be pairing these with, I will be trying to go on a tight budget with it?

Are there any similar models that I could be looking for good deals on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts