AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I will be opening up a can of worms with this thread, but here goes.

I am in the market for HT speakers in the $3000 range... including sub that will give me a 6.1 set-up.

Yesterday I auditioned a M&K 750 THX setup with I believe the MX 350 THX sub by M&K ($3200).

It was very nice.

I am buying components (receiver and pj will be last) in advance for a dedicated HT that will measure around 15 by 21 feet.

I just want to have a better idea of what is out there and can I do better than the $3200 price for M&K's?

Craig

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Let's see.....

Snell

Paradigm

Magnepan (kind of picky for more than one or two seats)

B&W

Personally, I think the Snells are killer in that price range. 6 K.5s @ $750/pr, Snell PS10 sub @ around $1000. (could build an SVS for less if you want but then you need an amp too. You could also get a Paradigm or midrange Velodyne in the budget) Just remember the K's are big bookshelf speakers so you will also need to budget for stands.

If you do music too, the Snells are MUCH nicer. If you are all HT, the MKs are a bit more dynamic and efficient but, IMHO, they are a bit fatiguing after a while.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed-back bpape.

I did some more speaker shopping yesterday and found another contender set-up.

I demoed a 6.1 Paradigm set-up yesterday.

Paradigm monitor three's for front left, right, rear surrounds and rear center with a Paradigm CC-370 for the front center channel. A Paradigm PW-2200 sub was used as well.

I was very impressed with the sound from the Paradigm's and at the moment I think they are edging the M&K 750 set-up I demoed earlier. I think the Paradigm's sound a little more full, a little more rich.

In my opinion, they are so close in sound that the breaker would be what would be the best price I could get out of the bunch.

If anyone else out there wants to chime in, please do!

Craig

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
At around $3k, you're in the meat of the market. There are lots of contenders.

I can personally vouch for Paradigm, as I own them. Paradigm has always been one of the best values in speakers.

Also check out the Monitor Audio lines. I auditioned the Silver series not long ago and was very impressed. There's a review in the November issue of Home Theater magazine if you're interested.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
filmnut,

Yes, from what I have seen, I think a price-point of $2500-$3500 is a reasonable price-point for my HT budget, yet will give me the audio I am looking for.

I am very impressed with the Paradigm line. I auditioned the Monitor 3's.

Does anyone else have either the M&K 750's or the Paradign Monitor 3's.

Any feed-back these speakers or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.