AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a good HTIB that has been suiting my needs well for the past few months. I have just purchased outdoor speakers and am trying to figure out the best way to hook these up. My reciever does not have any audio outputs to use.

Here is what I would like to be able to do:

1. Lisetn to the 5.1 as designed (will use this most)

2. Listen to only outdoor. Nothing else. (Music Outdoor Parties)

3. Listen to out door and indoor. (Music Outdoor/Indoor parties)

What are my options for doing this? I am looking at thing like speaker selector but do not want to loose 5.1 which is what I will use 95% of the time.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
You should post your receiver make and model and be a bit more clear on what you want playing and when. Such as playing the outdoor speakers at the same time as the indoor 5.1 etc. What speakers do you have connected now?

You stated "My reciever does not have any audio outputs to use." Does this mean you have proprietary connections? Or do you mean there are no extra connection jacks left to connect to?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by re24610 /forum/post/15562256

I currently have a good HTIB that has been suiting my needs well for the past few months. I have just purchased outdoor speakers and am trying to figure out the best way to hook these up. My reciever does not have any audio outputs to use.

Here is what I would like to be able to do:

1. Lisetn to the 5.1 as designed (will use this most)

2. Listen to only outdoor. Nothing else. (Music Outdoor Parties)

3. Listen to out door and indoor. (Music Outdoor/Indoor parties)

What are my options for doing this? I am looking at thing like speaker selector but do not want to loose 5.1 which is what I will use 95% of the time.

You have no options if your receiver doesn't have audio outs.

Best to leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Get a speaker switcher. This way you could switch between the two when you need to. They can be had for very little. Plenty of choices

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the model.

Philips HTS3565D-37. Current speaker hook up is Center, R/L front, R/L inwall rear, sub.

Yes it only has proprietary connections and there are no extra outputs.

More specifically what I want to be able to do is listen to indoor and outdoor at the same time or one or the other. I do not care about 5.1 unless I am only using the stereo for tv/movies.

What listening to outdoor speakers stereo will be in "Party" mode which "Party mode is ideal for party music. It enhanced the stereo channels output by duplicating the sound output to the center, rear left and rear right speakers." So I can pull the sound from any speaker eaisly. I do not care about having stereo sound outside just want the music.

This would be much eaiser if I just wanted to add music to outside and be able to turn the outside speakers on and off but I also need the option to turn the inside speakers off and listen to music only outside due to kids sleeping or what not.

Options As i see it:

1. For go outdoor speakers(not an option for me)

2. Hook up some sort of switch to keep 5.1 inside and add speakers outside(music only)

3. Use another reciever to power outdoor speakers(not optimal)

4. Get switch like the monstor cable 4 way to add the speakers then make a custom box with an inline switch for each speaker.

Thanks for everybody's advice so far.

·
Registered
781 Posts
HTiB systems are not designed to be terribly flexible. That's why they call them "in a box" systems - they are meant to do what they advertise and not a whole lot more. After all, why would the company put in features that 99% of the people buying won't have a use for? It would just be a wate of money for them.

I'd recommend an upgrade before trying to shoe-horn a htib into doing what it wasn't designed for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts