AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This might be something that is not fixable but since I don't know much about audio systems I have to ask.

I have a Microlabs SOLO6c that I've been using for a while now. I've noticed if I increase the volume above 30 (I usually use it around 45 for movies) there is a humming or buzzing noise even when there is nothing going on. The speaker is hooked up to a desktop via a normal jack.

The annoying part is that when the computer is not even turned on the buzzing noise is still there. If I turn down the volume the buzzing goes away also.
Is this buzzing that is something there by default, and it's just the way speakers work or there is actually a way get rid of this?

It's rather annoying when I turn off the computer to get the remote for the speaker and turn the volume down also every time.
If the speaker could be powered down by the remote I would just switch it off but it's only on the back of the speaker, so I just leave it turned on all the time.

Is there a fix to this?

thanks for any advice you can give!

Balint

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Is the buzz still there if you disconnect the speakers from the computer?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is this buzzing that is something there by default, and it's just the way speakers work or there is actually a way get rid of this?
Defiantly not a built in feature. My experience with humming and buzzing speakers is usually a lose connection or bad cable.

-Please define a normal jack? Are you using a 3.5mm to RCA splitter or does your computer have RCA outputs?
-Also what kind of computer? Did you make it or was it store bought?
-Did you try another cable?
-Is the computer properly grounded?
-You mention a volume of 35-45, I assume that is on the computer? What is the volume on the speakers set to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the buzz still there if you disconnect the speakers from the computer?
There is but I have to lean pretty close to the speaker to actually hear it. While when it's connected you can hear the buzz from meters away.

Defiantly not a built in feature. My experience with humming and buzzing speakers is usually a lose connection or bad cable.

-Please define a normal jack? Are you using a 3.5mm to RCA splitter or does your computer have RCA outputs?
-Also what kind of computer? Did you make it or was it store bought?
-Did you try another cable?
-Is the computer properly grounded?
-You mention a volume of 35-45, I assume that is on the computer? What is the volume on the speakers set to?
- No, the computer only have 3.5mm output. So yes from the speaker there is an RCA splitter that goes into a longer(5meter) 3.5mm extension cable which goes into the PC.

- The computer is a small form factor PC, which was put together by a stranger, I've only bought it so it would be the platform for the projector I use.

- I've not yet tried another cable, But I feel I should :).

- I honestly don't know, any tips what should I look out for, how should I check?

- The volume (35-45) is on the speaker, it has a small LED display for the volume.
60 is the maximum number you can go up by increasing volume with the remote.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
99% its a ground loop. If all your devices are properly grounded and are also in same electricity plug, there are few things you can do about it. Unfortunately you dont have best possible solution, balanced inputs on your speakers so thats out of the question.
Best solution for you is ground loop isolator like one on the picture.
http://elac.com/en/archive/products...uppressor_20101209_cGW__MG_5202_Web378qpx.jpg
But you might wanna try first another soundcard/DAC if you can borrow just to eliminate bad soundcard as a cause.
Other (allowed) solutions are:
- power conditioners - expensive
- interrupting analog connection between speakers and computer (basically u dont want analog wires that connect both and can carry current) - given your system that would require introducing digital connection between two, which includes couple of adapters, is expensive and frankly quite ridiculous.

You can also try reducing gain at your speakers and increasing gain on computer, should reduce noise somewhat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts