AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to this forum, i would ask some questions to you guys about speaker impedance. my gear is a pioneer reciever vsx-1017av, wharfedale diamond 9.6(200watts) as front speakers, wharfedale diamond 9.cm(150watts) as center & diamond 9.3(120watts) as surround. The receiver is set at 6 ohms and the label on the back of all my wharfedale speakers stats 6 ohms impedance. So why is it when I checked the speakers with a multimeter on the diamond 9.3 meter reading was a perfect 6 ohms, the diamond 9.6 the reading was 3.9 ohms
& the diamond 9.cm the reading was 8.9 ohms

So i am asking what harm can i do to receiver?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
you are measuring the DC "static resistance" of the speaker and its internal voice coil with your DVOM. Impedance is an AC measurement and it varies in accordance with the power supplied to the speaker. Usually, the static resistance as read on a DVOM is lower than the "average impedance" of the speaker. The fact that one of your speakers Rs was exactly 6 ohms is an unusual coincidence.

I'm still convinced that "speaker impedance" is highly complex "black magic", just like most electronics is based on "magic smoke"....if you ever see smoke coming out of a piece of gear - the magic is gone and the unit is now dead..... cause and effect.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital01 /forum/post/16994894

hi i am new to this forum, i would ask some questions to you guys about speaker impedance. my gear is a pioneer reciever vsx-1017av, wharfedale diamond 9.6(200watts) as front speakers, wharfedale diamond 9.cm(150watts) as center & diamond 9.3(120watts) as surround. The receiver is set at 6 ohms and the label on the back of all my wharfedale speakers stats 6 ohms impedance. So why is it when I checked the speakers with a multimeter on the diamond 9.3 meter reading was a perfect 6 ohms, the diamond 9.6 the reading was 3.9 ohms
& the diamond 9.cm the reading was 8.9 ohms

So i am asking what harm can i do to receiver?

Impedance is not actually a single number. It varies depending on the frequencies of the signal fed into it as a result of the differing characteristics of the parts of the crossover network and the various drivers in the speaker. Sometimes you'll see an impedance graph for the speakers that shows this.

As long as you are listening at moderate volume levels you are unlikely to do any harm. I ran 4 ohm polk LSi speakers off of a non-4 ohm rated Pioneer Elite AVR for several years.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/16995122

you are measuring the DC "static resistance" of the speaker and its internal voice coil with your DVOM. Impedance is an AC measurement and it varies in accordance with the power supplied to the speaker. Usually, the static resistance as read on a DVOM is lower than the "average impedance" of the speaker. The fact that one of your speakers Rs was exactly 6 ohms is an unusual coincidence.

I'm still convinced that "speaker impedance" is highly complex "black magic", just like most electronics is based on "magic smoke"....if you ever see smoke coming out of a piece of gear - the magic is gone and the unit is now dead..... cause and effect.

Speaker impedance is actually straight forward if you know the background theorey. It is defiantely not black magic.. I pick on this (not beucase you said it ) but becuase its a common misconception among audiophiles in general who do not possess teh fundfamentals of AC theorey. They make outrageous claims about cables and interconnects sound better than others, cable lifters opening up the sound of their speakers. Its all a crock of BS.

Again this was not intended to be rant on you perosnally but a rant just in general.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/16995122

Used to be true. But you can get 'replacement smoke' now.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Run your AVR in 8ohm mode. Usually when you go to the lower impedance setting you cut the power and are more likely to damage your speakers (less power = clipping at lower volumes).

You may be fine but if you can select go to 8 ohm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts