AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving into a house, so I'm finally getting the chance to set up everything the way I want it. Or rather, that's what I thought until the logistics began to swallow me up. My new family room layout just isn't conducive to perfect sound, considering my budget is next to nothing.

I've attached a crude drawing of my room. The problem I'm working around is that my tv and htpc is going to have to go into a built in cabinet next to my fireplace in the corner of my room. I don't yet have a receiver, and my budget is maybe $300 tops, pretty much all of my AV equiptment is hand me downs. I have two old big box speakers (forgive the non-technical terms, they are old Jensen speakers with a 12", a 6" and a 4") and two bookshelf speakers that I'd like to hook up to the receiver I'm going to get. I'm also going to need to get a sub at some point and a center speaker.

The room is about 20 by 15, and I've got to fit two large couches in there as well. I'm thinking that putting the good couch out from the window in front of the fireplace and the other couch along the wall is my best option, so that leaves just the matter of how to place the speakers for the best sound under the circumstances. The yellow boxes along the walls are where I've got speaker wire run to.

Main Questions:

1) It IS okay to get a receiver and attach the speakers I've got laying around to it, right? They don't have to match or anything?

2) Is it possible to equalize the output to make up for the fact it's going to be very very hard (if not impossible) to keep the right and left speakers equal distance from the TV.

3) Can anyone recommend a receiver that's acceptable in the under $300 range?

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
First, I'll assume your TV will be rotated 45° so it's facing the opposite corner.

Click my sig to see what I've done. Go to room diagram.

FWIW- I'm not trying to increase page hits (nothing to gain, whatsover). It just worked out that way tonight. :)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I know theres only 4 walls to the room and each has its challenges, but...

...there has GOT to be a better location on a different wall than that corner. Time to think out of the box (pun intended). Whats on the other walls?

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wall the TV is on has the two cabinets and the fireplace. Going clockwise, the wall on the right side would be perfect, except my wife has decreed that one of couches goes along that wall so she can see out through the big window. The bottom wall has a built in desk then door to the kitchen. Then next wall has the door to outside followed by a large single pane window.

I've resolved myself to making the best of it, it's just a matter of figuring out how to do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.