AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am in the process of upgrading my home audio equipment and I could use some advice on speaker placement.

I have been doing my research on speaker and sub brands, so I don't want everyone to get bogged down on brand recommendations unless it's critical to the placement decisions.

Attached is a plan view of my family room. The important characteristics (at least as far as I know) are as follows (all descriptions are relative to the orientation of the image):

1. The ceilings are 12 foot.

2. The room is all carpet.

3. The upper wall is entirely sliding glass that totally opens to the pool and deck. Therefore, at certain times of the day and night there is no wall there. It also has a sliding blind over the window.

4. The right edge (behind the viewing area) is open to the kitchen area with similar ceiling height and about 125% the size of the family room.

5. The TV and audio equipment are located in alcoves set into the wall along with the fire place. The sub will have to be placed in front of the alcove so as not to be covered. It will most likely move to the top of the image.

6. My center, right and left front speakers are on the mantel above the TV and fire place.

7. The rear' speakers shown are mounted on the wall at the ceiling height.

I have a Denon 4306 receiver (7.1) and the rear' speakers shown are set as SURROUND, not rear.

My main question is this: Should I add 2 speakers at the ceiling between the current rear speakers and the front speakers? Or should I add 2 speakers further back, behind the viewing seat, thereby making them the rear speakers? Or should I add both?

I will try to post some pictures of the whole layout in a few hours to help in the discussion.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Splotto

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splotto /forum/post/0

My main question is this: Should I add 2 speakers at the ceiling between the current rear speakers and the front speakers? Or should I add 2 speakers further back, behind the viewing seat, thereby making them the rear speakers? Or should I add both?

Splotto

In a 7.1 system, the rear speakers should be behind the listening postion and side surrounds.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/0

In a 7.1 system, the rear speakers should be behind the listening postion and side surrounds.

Hello:

Thanks. It seems that is the general opinion.

However, with the Denon 4306 and it's zones, should I also add speakers in between the surround and front speakers in the layout?

Splotto

·
Registered
735 Posts
I don't think your going to gain much by adding 2 more speakers. You might just add 1 center rear speaker on the wall. I did that previously and it worked well. One other thing to do is use 3 in-wall speakers instead. I don't think the ceiling speakers in that placement are going to give the desired effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.