AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Working on setting up a new home theater as part of a game room we are building. I used the Dolby Atmos guide for reference. Although I haven't decided on them I am using Klipsch RP-8000F's as reference. The wet bar and bathroom locations are pretty much fixed do to existing plumbing. This is a standalone 20'x20' building on our property. Looking for recommendations, fatal flaws, suggestions, opinions... THANKS!

Slope Parallel Font Triangle Rectangle

·
Registered
30,857 Posts
Can you rotate the set-up 90 degrees, so that the TV is on the south wall? This gives you symmetrical side walls and puts the room's oddities (wet bar and bathroom) behind the listeners, where our human hearing is not so hot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's going to be awesome! What program is that to measure the angles?
Bluebeam. It's a PDF editing tool. Mainly for construction/design. I work in RE Development.

your seating position looks awfully close to the room 1/2 length position, a major bass null.
There is a table that goes behind the couch hence the reason it is in the middle.

I believe the overhead ATMOS speakers are to be equidistant from the main listening position. Your diagram looks like the rear heights are further away than the front heights

Noted. The ATMOS speaker placement isn't set in stone as I believe it is driven by the angle from the seated position. I will make sure we do that!

Can you rotate the set-up 90 degrees, so that the TV is on the south wall? This gives you symmetrical side walls and puts the room's oddities (wet bar and bathroom) behind the listeners, where our human hearing is not so hot.
Challenging because of the table that goes behind the couch. As part of the negotiations with my wife I had to include a table for crafting, games etc. with the kids....otherwise this would be just a movie theater. HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
There is a table that goes behind the couch hence the reason it is in the middle.
There is no problem with having a table behind the couch, but ... do not leave the seating at 1/2 room length, as your subs will be rendered moot. Be sure you are 5/9ths or 4/7ths, or some other uneven divisible of the room length.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok 10-4. There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on distance from 85” TV. Anyone have some input on that???

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ok 10-4. There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on distance from 85” TV. Anyone have some input on that???
It has more to do with room acoustics than the size of your TV. Sitting in the center of the room where the nulls are is not where you want to be.

The RP-8000F's are fantastic HT speakers. What do you plan on using for your center.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your fighting two different forces, or at least trying to balance them. The optimal viewing distance of a 85” display is never going to be the same as the acoustical sweet spot in the given room dimensions.

Either sit closer, sit further away (get a bigger display/projector) or accept you will have a very, very challenged audio. To make matters worse, your sitting in the middle of a square room which from a audio perspective is the combining the two really big things most commonly avoided.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
With 85", you can afford to move back a foot or two. Which would then center you between the height speakers as well.

Here's Rtngs guide for viewing distance.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Yep you need to turn it 90 deg and move seats closer to TV.
Subs (in black) at 1/4 points of front wall for smooth, even bass across your one row of seats.
Speakers (in red) as per Dolby - L&R drawn on top of subs but only cos I was guessing. Right Rear Surround could go closer to the bar if easier for mounting etc.
Seats at 7' - gotta love the 1:1 seating to screen ratio as most users on here seem to do - I sit 130" from a 165" screen :)
How big a table does your wife need :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I'd put the TV on the opposite wall and move the seating closer to the TV. The 1/3 point between front and rear walls is optimal for modal bass. The 2/5 point is the second choice. Anywhere between them is okay for bass. Make sure to put the seating where your ears conform to those distances from front to rear walls.

This will have several advantages in addition to better modal response. The first is that your left-right sound stage will be more symmetrical with similar lateral reflections and you can optimally treat them with smaller absorbers because they will be closer to the speakers and more focal. The second is that your bass from your front speakers will have better boundary reinforcement with both of them in a more enclosed space. The third is that your side surround speakers will also be side surround speakers from that listening position. The fourth is that if you put your subwoofers in that same area they will also have better boundary reinforcement along with proximity to your front sound stage for better imaging. The fifth is that your seating is somewhat out of the main portion of the room where you may desire other functionality without tripping over a sofa. The sixth is that you will have more room for overflow seating should you need it. The seventh is that your large towers will be out of the main space and the smaller rear surrounds will have less impact on the functionality. The eighth is that with closer seating to the TV you will have a more immersive video experience.

The one disadvantage will be that with your front sound stage and subwoofers in a more enclosed area the early bass reflections off those sidewalls with tend to color the sound more. You can partially mitigate this with thicker absorption and placement of your subwoofers in locations that de-emphasize those lateral reflections, particularly with dual subwoofers on the sidewalls with placement tuned near the 1/4 point from front to rear to partially eliminate one of the two strong modal responses.

Your room is not square. With three differently spaced sidewalls at the top of that diagram you have three distinct modal responses along that dimension. That's a good thing for your bass. You need to take advantage of the long dimension that isn't broken up with modal variations and having the TV on either the left or right side of the diagram is the right approach because the asymmetry of the space gets you out of the modal null at the halfway point in both the left-right and top-bottom dimensions when the TV is on the left or the right.

Don't put your TV at the bottom of the diagram unless you are prepared to invest a lot of time and effort trying to mitigate the fact that no matter how far you space yourself off that wall at the bottom of the diagram, you are still sitting in the middle of the longest axial modal node from left to right in the space and that will knacker your bass no matter what you do. The longest dimension in the room is the one you want to optimize for bass and that means staying out of the left-right center of that diagram at all costs.

Edit: oops, almost forgot, the ninth advantage of putting the TV on the right wall in that diagram is that it will be visible from the wet bar.

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
There goes the view from the bathroom! :cool:

CJ presents a good argument for right wall placement. Move your seating towards that wall slightly, getting it out of the center of room length position. Perhaps keep your side surrounds slightly forward of the seating (80 degree position) as this positioning avoids the speaker in the ear syndrome for the folks sitting on the ends of the couch. This approach has been much praised here when a part of a 7 channel base layer, even though it is not to Dolby spec.

As to the table for your wife ... look at getting a pool table that can be configured into a regular table with a modular removable tabletop of some sort. :love:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has more to do with room acoustics than the size of your TV. Sitting in the center of the room where the nulls are is not where you want to be.

The RP-8000F's are fantastic HT speakers. What do you plan on using for your center.
I am thinking of doing the whole Klipsch setup so go with RP-504C or RP-600C? Still need to figure out the ATMOS and rear solutions.

Based on everything I am reading here it might make sense for me to enlist the help of a local AV designer professional to work with my interior designer and draftsman who will be doing the plans.
That way the layout it correct for what I am trying to achieve.

Oh and yes I am definitely planning on a combo table/pool table (air hockey maybe) table? A compromise on the compromise!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
urrounds slightly forward of the seating (80 degree position) as this positioning avoids the speaker in the ear syndrome for the folks sitting on the ends of the couch. This approach has been much praised here when a part of a 7 channel base layer, even though it is not to Dolby spec.

As to the table for your wife ... look at getting a pool table that can be configur
So more like this? (2nd version cleaned it up and put some dimensions etc.)

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
So more like this? (2nd version cleaned it up and put some dimensions etc.)
All the other replies seem to be focused strictly on audio. I wouldn't sit at 8' from an 85" TV. You can get away with it for 4K content but if you watch any lower resolution (1080P/720P) it doesn't look great from that close.

Move it back to 11.5 feet (which is the optimal distance according to the Rtngs guide). This will eliminate the bass null that everyone is pointing out, center your ATMOS speakers and give you optimal viewing. Aside from that, I would leave the original config so that you have the sidewall for your right surround.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am thinking of doing the whole Klipsch setup so go with RP-504C or RP-600C? Still need to figure out the ATMOS and rear solutions.

Based on everything I am reading here it might make sense for me to enlist the help of a local AV designer professional to work with my interior designer and draftsman who will be doing the plans.
That way the layout it correct for what I am trying to achieve.

Oh and yes I am definitely planning on a combo table/pool table (air hockey maybe) table? A compromise on the compromise!!!
If it's between those two, go with the 504C, without question. Second best center speaker Klipsch makes.

Just be very careful with 'local AV professionals'. Many times, you are hiring a salesman who knows more about profit margins than they do about equipment or setting up a room. Be sure you crosscheck facts with the real professionals on this forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it's between those two, go with the 504C, without question. Second best center speaker Klipsch makes.

Just be very careful with 'local AV professionals'. Many times, you are hiring a salesman who knows more about profit margins than they do about equipment or setting up a room. Be sure you crosscheck facts with the real professionals on this forum.
Noted. The guy I am talking with doesn’t sell product. He strictly designs the layout and I pay him hourly for his services. He will take my input on what equipment I plan on using as that obviously impacts precise speaker locations etc. He does have opinions on that stuff though which I will take into consideration!

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts