AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K in the hopes of upgrading my 5.1 to 7.1. My speakers are a little older, but I purchased 2 extra surrounds at the time because I knew I would eventually upgrade and I wanted all the speakers to be the same.

Anyway, the speaker models are not the point of the post, their layout is. I currently live in a typical NE ranch style home (24'x36') with a finished basement. The room is about 14'-8" x 23'-4". Three columns run along the 14'-8" side, effectively making a 4' wide hallway that makes the room even skinnier.

I only need 1 row of 3 seats but unfortunately the room is not just for the home theater, I also need to place 2 desks somewhere in the room along with a bookshelf or two.

My current idea is something along the lines of:

The rear surround speakers would be mounted on the wall to the left and right of the door.

Left surround would be mounted on the stairwell wall and right surround would be on a stand on the desk (same height as left and equidistant to center seat).

Left, right and center would be mounted on the wall (if that is best, I am not sure). The left and right speakers are unfortunately not towers.

The columns are in the way in essentially any position I attempt. I am hoping that having the column in this particular spot will create the least impact on the sound (I know it will an impact, I just hope to lessen it).

My questions are:

What height would be ideal for each of the speakers?

Should I place the front left and right speakers at exactly 26 degrees or should they be the same width as the seating (~30 degrees)?

The image above shows the seats closer to the rear surround than the front speakers, should it all be equidistant?

Where are some places I should try the sub?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr /forum/post/15444802

Maybe you could start with something a little less Picasso and a little more blueprint?

It is modeled in 3D in SketchUp, did it for placement purposes. The picasso thing is the recommended placement (22-30 degrees for front, 90-110 degrees for surround and 135-150 degrees for rear surround).

TV is on the bottom wall, 3 chairs in front. 2 desks to the left (mirrored them since that image). The 3 circles are the columns that are causing problems.

Again, it was modeled in SketchUp and that diagram is on top to help me decide where to place the speakers.

As for the first question, I would like to clarify that I know the tweeters should be at the same level as the listener(s), but is it better to mix heights or no (cannot place rear surrounds at ear level)?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehlith /forum/post/15436589

My questions are:

What height would be ideal for each of the speakers?

Tweeter at ear level. If seating/furniture is blocking, than just high enough to fire over.

Quote:
Should I place the front left and right speakers at exactly 26 degrees or should they be the same width as the seating (~30 degrees)?

YMMV. I would play around, experiment, to obtain imaging that pleases you. I believe some speakers are designed to have more or less toe-in than others, for instance.

Quote:
The image above shows the seats closer to the rear surround than the front speakers, should it all be equidistant?

Equidistant is ideal, but rarely achieved. Try to do your best, and apply distances in receiver. If the rear speaker is TOO close, I'd consider not even using it. Perhaps at least a few ft away would be nice.

Quote:
Where are some places I should try the sub?

Experiment, crawl for bass .

·
Registered
628 Posts
Only the front and center speakers should have the tweeters at ear height. All of the surrounds should have the tweeters about 2 feet above ear height. It makes them less localizeable.

I think your diagram looks great, I don't get the picasso comment.

About the distances, I agree with jostenmeat about that one. You can make adjustments on the receiver to add in delay and volume reduction to account for distance.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
with omnidirectional radiating speakers, you will probably get better imaging the further the speakers are from the wall behind your television...you can experiment, obviously, but as much as 6 feet out into the room could be beneficial, though such distance may be impractical.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderMoser /forum/post/15455613

Only the front and center speakers should have the tweeters at ear height. All of the surrounds should have the tweeters about 2 feet above ear height. It makes them less localizeable.

Hello Xander, I was basically parroting what I've read here. Reliable sources, like Ethan Winer.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1075679

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.