AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my new SVS 20-39pci in what must be record time, and while I'm quite impressed, I'm having a few issues with placement and tuning. So here I am with questions galore.

Placement I figure is a matter of time and experimentation, but my other issue stems from a limitation in my receiver. I have a Denon DRA-395 stereo receiver. While the receiver does have a subwoofer out, it does not have any form of crossover circuitry. The end result is the full range is sent both to the sub and to the subwoofer. This isn't a problem for the sub, as it has a variable crossover circuit, but my poor Paradigm mini-monitors are not so happy about the situation. I took the grill off one while playing a 20hz sine wave at fairly low volume, and it looked like the driver was trying to jump out of the box.

The SVS has speaker level ins and outs, should I use them? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so? The manual states that it is preferable to handle such things on the receiver, but since that is not an option, am I better off using them or doing without? Should I consider buying a seperate EQ?

Is this the right forum for this thread?

Josh

·
Registered
365 Posts
There shouldn't be any bad effects using the speaker level inputs. It should be much better then throwing 20hz frequencies to you mains.

What's the option? Get another receiver OR try to find a higher quality crossover then the one built into the sub. Both are going to be big $$ (I would go with a new receiver).

I bet the crossover in the sub will be adequate, I've never heard any complaints. Some high end ppl actually prefer to use the speaker level inputs on 2 subs so they have stereo bass. I'm sure these die-hards would know if their SQ was suffering in any way due to using the built in xover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks johnm_10, I'll give it a shot and report back.

next up, taming the 7db drop I'm seeing at 35hz in my listening location

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVickery
thanks johnm_10, I'll give it a shot and report back.

next up, taming the 7db drop I'm seeing at 35hz in my listening location

Does it go back up at 30hz? If so, it's probably a null. Try moving your spl meter to some other areas of the room. Does the dip go away? If so, it's a null.

A null is certain frequencies bouncing off the wall at exactly the right distance to cancel themselves out. The best way to solve them is by putting your sub somewhere else so that it doesn't happen at the listening position.

The second best way to solve them is by installing acoustical room treatments aka bass traps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.