AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building/designing a theater in a location that can't get much use out of anything else. My budget is pretty low, so my speaker choices have been limited by that and my knowledge. Right now I'm looking at Polk Monitor II 60s for the fronts and the 30s for the rears/surrounds. (The cheap Pioneers look nice too
.) My justification is that it's a small room and they go on sale all the time. The room is roughly 11'W x 16'L, and only 6'1" high after carpet and sheetrock is installed. I'm not sure how the height will affect acoustics just yet. But because of the size my seating choice is limited. If I want to squeeze a second row in, it's going to have to go against the back wall, with or without a few inch gap. Does this limit me to a 5 speaker setup? Should I still aim them so the tweeters are about 1ft about ear level? Would the surrounds be placed next to the front row or somewhere in between the two rows? Are there any speakers that would helpful with this seating arrangment?

I forgot to add, my LCR and sub aren't a concern because I'll be installing an AT screen, so I can figure the placement out for those well after the room is completed. And the screen is going to take up an extra foot. So in the drawings I have attached, the front row people's eyes would be about 10' from the 100" 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19606159

What are you planning for a subwoofer? Since this is a dedicated theater I would go with the Polk CS2 Series II center

I forgot to mention the center and sub
. I was planning on a Polk CS10 or a CS1 because I read that the CS2 and CS20 tend to over power the front 60s, also I think Polk says the CS1/10 are a better match. But if you think otherwise, let me know. I know I'm going to end up going with the advice I hear on this forum regardless of what I see elsewhere. For the sub I had the Polk PSW10 in mind, or the BIC F12 if Amazon ever has a sale on them again.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 /forum/post/19606364

For the sub I had the Polk PSW10 in mind, or the BIC F12 if Amazon ever has a sale on them again.

Do NOT get the Polk PSW10. The Bic F12 is a much better buy

The best price for the Bic F12 and where most people buy theirs is from here for $182:
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...BT46359P.shtml

There are better subwoofers out there is you have more money to devote to that

The CS2 would not over power the Monitor 60's the Monitor 60's have a much larger sound stage than the CS2. With a majority of the audio coming from the Center channel I would want the CS2 for a dedicated theater where size of speaker doesn't matter

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the setup is looking like:

-2 Monitor 60s

-1 CS2

-1 F12

-2/4 Monitor 30s?

Can anyone chime in on 7.1 vs 5.1 based on the seating and rear/surround speaker locations for the height of the room?

So I guess the conclusion is these Polks are fine for a small room?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts