AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm about to put a media room together which is 16'x21'. I have 2 rows of berkline seats. The second row will be 12-16" higher than the front row. I haven't decided yet whether or not to build a 4" platform for the front row. Anyway,my questions are; in a 7.1 setup, where should the side surround speakers be location in relation to the first and second row of seats? Also, how high?

For the rear surround speakers I was planning on mounting them on either side of a french door which would put them about 6-7' apart. Is that ideal? How about height wise for those speakers?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I have looked at that site, but it does not talk about two rows of seating. I should mention I have regular speakers and not the 2 directional speakers for the side surrounds. I'm concerned that the back row will hear side surround sound in front of them stronger than from behind.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit212 /forum/post/15424507

Thanks for the response. I have looked at that site, but it does not talk about two rows of seating. I should mention I have regular speakers and not the 2 directional speakers for the side surrounds. I'm concerned that the back row will hear side surround sound in front of them stronger than from behind.

That's exactly what will happen. Nothing you can do about it. Pick your seat and optimize sound for that location. Anything else requires a larger space and multiple side surround speakers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I put the side surround between the two rows and 7' off the floor to get past the seat back(front row), will that sound ok? Or should the side channel fire directly at the ear of the listener. I thought I read somewhere that it should be behind the listener and higher than ear level.

I guess down the road, adding a multidirectional speaker on the sides (dipole?) could be swapped in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.