AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community. I am running a 5.1 system with the Andrew Jones Pioneer set. I will start my calibration process by using the mic on my Denon, the Audyseyy setup. What other adjustments do you all like to make from that point? I am running a sub so I will make sure the speakers are set to small, at 80hz (from what I read to do). On the Denon I can make the speakers louder for the center, fronts, and rears. What do you prefer in this situation? I feel like right now I can't hear much of the surrounds, but that may depend on the coding of the source anyway. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Audyssey will determine what it thinks your crossovers should be, generally 80Hz is a common result for your fronts, and all speakers set to small. Some people, myself included, prefer a 60Hz crossover or perhaps something higher depending on their speakers. Listen and experiment and see what you prefer, there isn't a right or wrong choice here in the 60-100Hz range. You could try raising the surround levels, but the bulk of your sound will come from the front speakers. Try a good surround sound movie like the opening scene of Star Trek (2009) to make sure they sound good before adjusting levels.

For your sub, Audyssey recommends setting it at 50% gain, but this is generally too high and the receiver will lower the sub level to get it where it should be. I would put the gain at 1/3 and then check the level after calibration; you want the sub-level in the receiver at 0.0 so it might take a little adjusting to get it there or at least close. Make sure your sub crossover is at the maximum position, and the phase is set to 0.

·
Registered
109 Posts
According to the Auddyssey set up guide NEVER lower the cross over setting Auddyssey sets.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#user_c4

it is OK to RAISE the Crossovers from those suggested but never to LOWER them. This is because Audyssey corrects down to the -3dB point of the speaker's frequencies response, so if you lower the Crossover from Audyssey's suggested setting you will create an uncorrected 'hole' in the frequency response. It's fine to raise them and doing so does not harm the Audyssey calibration in any way at all.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great feedback, and thank you! I will make sure to look for those. I suppose just make sure audyseyy does it's thing, check those measurements, and then all actual speaker loudness levels are up to my own preference and it won't mess with anything?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1519773/speaker-loudness-volume-adjustments#post_24407065

Audyssey will determine what it thinks your crossovers should be, generally 80Hz is a common result for your fronts, and all speakers set to small. Some people, myself included, prefer a 60Hz crossover or perhaps something higher depending on their speakers. Listen and experiment and see what you prefer, there isn't a right or wrong choice here in the 60-100Hz range. You could try raising the surround levels, but the bulk of your sound will come from the front speakers. Try a good surround sound movie like the opening scene of Star Trek (2009) to make sure they sound good before adjusting levels.

For your sub, Audyssey recommends setting it at 50% gain, but this is generally too high and the receiver will lower the sub level to get it where it should be. I would put the gain at 1/3 and then check the level after calibration; you want the sub-level in the receiver at 0.0 so it might take a little adjusting to get it there or at least close. Make sure your sub crossover is at the maximum position, and the phase is set to 0.

To confirm, I should have the crossover at the highest level before the testing starts?

·
Registered
6,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD  /t/1519773/speaker-loudness-volume-adjustments#post_24408346

To confirm, I should have the crossover at the highest level before the testing starts?

On the sub, yes. This allows the receiver to handle the bass management.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1519773/speaker-loudness-volume-adjustments#post_24409096

On the sub, yes. This allows the receiver to handle the bass management.

Gotcha. After I ran the audyseyy the sub came back as -11.0 db. Not sure if that is normal or not. Afterwards, should I be moving the sub back to around 80 hz or so and the gain about halfway up?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other thing....when I ran the Audyseyy the fronts (tower speakers) came back as 150 hz. Is it ok to use this, set to small? I had thought they were supposed to be 120. According to the set up rules, I should not adjust down, only up. So does 150 seem ok?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olletsoc  /t/1519773/speaker-loudness-volume-adjustments#post_24409330

I would run Audyssey again, it should have set those towers much lower. I would expect 60-80 hz

I thought so as well, thanks. When I do the sub, as the above poster mentioned, I am putting it right around 200hx, and just under 50% gain. When I am done it comes back as -11 db. Is that ok? I guess I can just adjust the gain afterward to make it louder?

·
Registered
6,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD  /t/1519773/speaker-loudness-volume-adjustments#post_24409356

I thought so as well, thanks. When I do the sub, as the above poster mentioned, I am putting it right around 200hx, and just under 50% gain. When I am done it comes back as -11 db. Is that ok? I guess I can just adjust the gain afterward to make it louder?

You now want to turn the sub volume down and re-run Audyssey, it has it the level at -11dB because the sub gain is too high. This is a normal practice, and it might take a couple runs to get the receiver sub level down to 0.0 (or close to it) by adjusting the gain on the sub itself. Generally this sweet spot is around 25-40%. When you are done though do not change the change the sub level or crossover dial.

That is a very high crossover, I would expect something closer to 80Hz. Try rerunning Audyssey and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts