AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Everyone,

I just subscribed to the Forum and it seems like everyone here is a million times smarter than I am!

I am installing a home theater in my Owens Corning furnished basement. I have a low (7') drop ceiling. My intention is to suspend the side and back surround speakers from the ceiling. My problem is that the installed drop ceiling won't support the weight of the individual speakers.

I've searched all over the internet for possible solutions to this problem and came up short. I was hoping that someone here would have a solution.

My initial thoughts on the matter are to cut and nail 2x4 sections to the joices such that their ends are at the same level of the ceiling tiles. Then, I would notch the ceiling tiles to accommodate this new structure. Then I would screw the standard ceiling mounting brackets I bought directly into the wood. (This solution would most likely work. I just don't know if it is the BEST solution.)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kevin

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeyer /forum/post/0

Hello, Everyone,

(This solution would most likely work. I just don't know if it is the BEST solution.)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kevin

I think you need to look past the drop ceiling to the structure above. A simple DIY wood or pipe drop from above would do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

I am trying to contact my Owens Corning installer. Since he is in the trade, he might have encountered this problem before.

I'd be really surprised if no one else has encountered a problem involving drop ceilings before. But, maybe I am breaking new ground here. I realize that my set up isn't ideal for a home theater, but it is the best I have to work with.

Thanks again,

Kevin

·
Registered
141 Posts
with mine I just cut about a 6" length 2X4 and scred the brackets in with the 2x4 on top of the ceiling. My rear speakers are pretty heavy and it supports them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts