AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a set of Bose outdoor speakers (model 251) rated 4 - 8 ohms. I have been buying fairly cheap bookkshelf stereos over the years to put in the backyard for music and have to replace them every couple but the speakers still work beautifully. I just purchased a Sony bookshelf mainly because I can plug in my iphone 5 and play all my music through the phone and icloud. But, in opening the system I see that the speakers that came with the system are rated at 3 ohms and the place on the back where you plug in the speakers also say use 3 ohm speakers. Can I use the Bose speakers or what kind of trouble will there be?  The stereo is rated at 235 watts per channel at 3 ohms

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Your amp will struggle driving them, they're designed to run through the Bose midbass module. It's quite funny that Bose speakers have lower impedance than my Kef Reference LOL.

Ditch them and buy outdoor speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

They are outdoor speakers.  They are Bose model 251 Environmental Speakers.  Bought them about 10 years ago for around $350 for the pair and they still sound fantastic - waterproof too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Okay thanks.  I'm trying to stay on the cheap - no more than $200 since the reciever will stay out in the yard all through late spring summer and early fall - basically the whole time it's not raining.  And with that kind of punishment they never last more than 2 or 3 years.  Also i do need am for the ball games and fm for when i just want music without hadssling with my iphone.

·
Registered
638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckebabe  /t/1522832/speaker-ohm-question#post_24490105

I have a set of Bose outdoor speakers (model 251) rated 4 - 8 ohms. I have been buying fairly cheap bookkshelf stereos over the years to put in the backyard for music and have to replace them every couple but the speakers still work beautifully. I just purchased a Sony bookshelf mainly because I can plug in my iphone 5 and play all my music through the phone and icloud. But, in opening the system I see that the speakers that came with the system are rated at 3 ohms and the place on the back where you plug in the speakers also say use 3 ohm speakers. Can I use the Bose speakers or what kind of trouble will there be?  The stereo is rated at 235 watts per channel at 3 ohms

If your bose has higher impedance, then it will be easier for the amp, as the amp draw less current. But driving a higher impedance speaker will require more power to get the same loudness, assuming all else being squal. You have different speakers so is really hard to do a straight comparison. You can try them out at moderate level and see which set up will ge the amp hotter. Your main concern is to not to drive the amp too hot. and into distorted sound.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckebabe  /t/1522832/speaker-ohm-question#post_24490105

Can I use the Bose speakers
Yes, you can always use speakers that are higher impedance than the amp is rated for. You just can't use speakers that are lower impedance than the amp rating.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The 3ohm speakers are pretty typical in "rack" type systems. The Sony and KEF systems are the same way. I wouldn't use the systems with anything other than the speakers they are designed for. There are inexpensive systems which will accept standard 4 - 8 ohm speakers. I think you'd be better off buying one of them than trying to make a cheap system work. Unless you enjoy buying a new system every two to three years. I've seen some Bose drivers which fall into the .5ohm range, but they were designed for dedicated a car system. Just saying you can't assume every receiver will drive any speaker, especially when you're talking the inexpensive all-in-one systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.