AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been covered but I didn't see it anywhere. Today I put my shielded Paradigm Studio CC on top of my HTPC. After 12+ hours all is well. Does anyone have any input on whether this presents a danger to my hard drive? Anyone have any experience at all putting a center channel on your PC?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'll be honest, I'm not usually one to worry about magnetics and modern hard drives. I use an electric, magnetic screwdriver for quick assembly of computers, but I would not put a speaker, even a shielded on on top of my HTPC, it's just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
You're fine.

You might have a slight chance for problems if you put the actual magnet form the voice coil driver directly on top of the HDD, but placing a shielded speaker enclosure on top of a PC case should be nothing to worry about.

I'd be more worried about any heat being trapped under the speaker than magnetic issues.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassnlogan /forum/post/18176085

Does anyone have any input on whether this presents a danger to my hard drive?

Try to afix a laser pointer to the most-hollowing-sounding part of the top panel of the speaker. Blu-tack putty would be ideal for this job. Aim the laser at the far side of the room. Play the loudest movie. Watch for movement in the laser pointer that exaggerates the beam displacement caused by vibrations. That would show the added vibrations that your computer is now subjected to.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unless you have some sort of monster sized front channel I wouldn't worry about it. Most center channels are going to be made of 4", 5.25" or 6.5" speakers set up in a dual array. Even if these were unshielded the magnetic field would be broken up by the time it makes it out of the cabinet, through the computer case and past all the electrical wiring inside the case to your hard drive. So with a shielded cabinet I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18181470

No it won't. All it will show is a grossly over-exaggerated representation of the flat section of your speaker oil-canning as it goes into resonance.

Jeez, this topic again?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1223580

-Suntan

LOL, I was specifically referring to magnetics this time as I don't know how well shielded his speaker is! :p

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If the speaker is shielded, you should be fine. If it does end up causing data loss on your hard disk (which btw requires a very strong magnetic force), then you could always sue the speaker manufacturer.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/18182392

If the speaker is shielded, you should be fine. If it does end up causing data loss on your hard disk (which btw requires a very strong magnetic force), then you could always sue the speaker manufacturer.

Even if your speaker isn't shielded, what do you think all of the metal on your PC case is doing?

And even if you have a PC built completely out of plexiglass, what do you think the metal that makes up the HDD case is doing?

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18182576

Even if your speaker isn't shielded, what do you think all of the metal on your PC case is doing?

And even if you have a PC built completely out of plexiglass, what do you think the metal that makes up the HDD case is doing?

-Suntan

That's why I said "a very strong magnetic force". In the OP's case, the vibrations from the sound are more likely to damage something than the speaker magnet.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC4Ever /forum/post/18176292

I'd be concerned with a 15" sub... anything else, more than likely not.

Actually, you have already done it, so... lol

I have a similar question, so I'll bring it up here instead of creating my own thread.

I may end up placing my mid-tower PC on the carpet floor just a foot to the side of my PSW505 subwoofer due to my room layout. Not on top or in front of the sub, but I'm still wondering if the sub can create enough sonic vibration to cause problems with the Western Digital hard drives in the PC. The drives are mounted on rubber washers that are part of the drive trays.

This crosses my mind because I have an old Sony 135 watt stereo that would cause its 5 cd changer to skip when playing at a good volume. My new AVR with this new sub should be even more Earth shaking!

Anyone else running a PC near loud bass-playing speakers?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I mean if we are concerned with quality playback then putting a speaker on a resonant enclosure isn't really the best idea. Run a sweep test and a warble tone test and see if it makes a difference, I bet it does. But I consider HT audio a joke anyway despite the whole move to HD audio for explosions.

Where's the HD audio for music? Don't say SACD because I've been there and done that, you can't really find titles for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts