Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some new speakers.

They will need to be pretty versatile as they will be used for both music and HT in a large open room.

I like my rock very loud (Stones, Midnight Oil etc) with tight bass (not boomy), but also like listening to music like Diana Krall or pieces with detailed guitar work.

Then there is the HT function as well.

The decree from "She Indoors" .... they have to look good (modern) and fit in with the "minimalistic furnishing phase" we are going through at present !

Can I have all this, and retain a happy home ?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Klipsch Reference series.

(Btw, it would help a lot to know what you can afford to spend, and how many speakers you want.)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
they have to look good (modern) and fit in with the "minimalistic furnishing phase" we are going through at present
Def Tech Mythos

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am looking for the two main speakers as the priority for good stereo music and then use in-wall/ceiling for the rear

Not sure what is needed in terms of budget, but as these will be a long term thing a few $'s is not out of the question, but say $ 5,000 ???

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have heard that totem acoustics makes some very good speakers and they minimalist (i.e. hawks or arros) they would need a sub. I mention these, as I think the two other suggestions are more forward or bright speakers. These would most likley be warmer voiced in case your tastes lie in that direction. Again, this is second hand info so take care and research it. They would definitely need a well matched subwoofer to handle bass.

There is also some internet only speakers that get good feedback. If you are in a situation where you cannnot locally audition what you want to buy you can check them out for 30 days and pay only shipping to return them. (based in your location of Austrailia I add this in) keyword search would be Onix or Diva. Avoid this partuclar forum to make long discussions about them though, it seems always to become emotional....

The new B&w speakers all sound pretty good. With the kevlar drivers... (I auditioned the bookshelf DM303's. Very nice and hard to beleive they were bookshelf (I listened w/o a sub and thought they were pretty tastey)

Good luck. Curtis

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Not me man. I want to hear ever little nuance in Diana's interpretations.

Downunder, you should be able to find a dealer for them in Oz. Give a listen. If it's a good setup she'll sound like she's in the room with you. Not to knock the "warm" sound, but I prefer the detail revealed in the top end by a fine horn.

You *will* want to buy a Klipsch center to go with them - just as any other brand - since timbre matching in a three-speaker front is so important.

Even with RF-7 and RC-7, you should have change left over from $5000 Aus(?).

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
klipsch RF-7's are the way to go......

outstanding clarity and detail..... DMF is correct - every nuance from diana krall will come through effortlessly.....

and IMHO... the best speaker on the market in it's price range for home theater......

go and listen...... bring along diana and some of your fav rock and roll.....

cheers!

:)

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Downunder
I am looking for some new speakers.

They will need to be pretty versatile as they will be used for both music and HT in a large open room.

I like my rock very loud (Stones, Midnight Oil etc) with tight bass (not boomy), but also like listening to music like Diana Krall or pieces with detailed guitar work.

Then there is the HT function as well.

The decree from "She Indoors" .... they have to look good (modern) and fit in with the "minimalistic furnishing phase" we are going through at present !

Can I have all this, and retain a happy home ?

one thing that i and the other posters have been remiss in..... what receiver and/or amplifier are you using or planning on using to power these new speakers?

if you have a ton of power (200 watts per channel or more) then your speaker options open up to many fine brands out there......

if on the other hand you are using a receiver to power this system - i would definitely stay with something in the klpsch reference series....

the RF-7's for example are the most efficient home theater speakers that i am aware of.... (102 db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter).... which translates into more volume in your listening room at the same power levels.....

it also means that you have more dynamic headroom for sharp transients to be played back correctly without clipping and/or distortion...

transients can suddenly demand 10 to 15 times the average power level of a DVD or CD...... using a very efficient speaker can lower your avearge power level and thereby allow a receiver have enough real power available for those sudden transients......

bottom line.... you need to listen to as many speakers as possible and select the speakers that you like the best....

good luck in your selection process!!!

:)

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you are looking for floorstanders I would suggest the Von Schweikert 4jr's for a listen if you can. Not sure about Australia availability. The setup I heard was not boomy at all and wet-your-pants sweet sounding with Nora Jones. The rock I heard on them was Allman Brothers, a hometown favorite of mine, and a band I know extremely well, best I have heard them reproduced - bar none.

I have the VR-1s (bookshelf) with an Hsu 3r sub that work amazingly well together if a sub/bookshelf step is what you seek. WAF is high on these and the sub is perfect for HT use. On Finding Nemo's Darla scene, the Hsu makes my front door knocker, well knock. :)

In fact, thanks for your post, just cranked what might (?) be a hometown favorite of yours, Midnight Oil. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guy's

Sorry for the tardy response, been side-tracked on a plasma decision!

Thanks so much for the suggestions, will start with passion later this week.

I will probably go with a Yamaha amp RXV 2400 as it has a serial interface for control via an HTPC.

An interesting aside re Midnight Oil...Pete Garrett is now in the nations parliment, in our recent elections he ran, but his party lost and he is now on the opposition bench ! ... if you guy's could have a movie star as president ... we'll have a rocker !!!!

Regards

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Downunder
Hi Guy's

Sorry for the tardy response, been side-tracked on a plasma decision!

Thanks so much for the suggestions, will start with passion later this week.

I will probably go with a Yamaha amp RXV 2400 as it has a serial interface for control via an HTPC.

An interesting aside re Midnight Oil...Pete Garrett is now in the nations parliment, in our recent elections he ran, but his party lost and he is now on the opposition bench ! ... if you guy's could have a movie star as president ... we'll have a rocker !!!!

Regards
I saw Mr. Garrett and the band at the State Theater in Kalamazoo, Michigan a decade or so ago. It was a fantastic show. The house and the band were cranking through JBL professional stuff (aided and abetted by some Peavey and Marshall equipment). I was amazed the roof didn't fall in.

You really should check out some JBL speakers as well as the other fine brands mentioned. At virtually any price point, JBL has a speaker series that will compete very well, and if it's to your liking will be best in class. (If it's not to your liking, then it won't be best in class, of course. ;) )

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would look at the Onix Rockets from ********** these are doing a great job for me . This was a great find and they look as good as they sound. All the others are also good suggestions . And you should try to give them all a listen. I did and chose the Rockets.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I have similar goals for my speakers and I have Boston Acoustics VR-M60s for my mains (my room is smaller than yours). If you want a detailed sound, though not as "forward" as Klipsch, you might consider something from the Boston Acoustics VR-M series (80 or 90 as mains) or perhaps something from Snell Acoustics (if they're available in Australia). B&W are also worth listening to, as well as the Paradigm Studio Reference series. Happy hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.