AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi @ll,

I am new here so I hope I don't have too much stupid question.

I was buy AV receiver what have 6 ~ 8 ohm output for speaker, but I have at home too many 3 ohm speakers. And can I connect 2x 3 ohm (serial connection) to my receiver or will be any problem ? I just only know when if I connect one 3 ohm speaker to my receiver I can damage it.

Thanks you for answer, Robert.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
What model of 3Ω speakers do you have? If they are speakers that came with a HTiB, you may be limited in how you can use them with a regular AVR.

Setting speaker impedance on AVRs is a hotly debated subject. You can use an amp like Yamaha makes with the 6Ω setting, it basically reduces voltage in the amp to protect against overload, during testing by UL and other third parties. Actually overheating and shutting down with lower impedance speakers isn't as easy as just turning the volume up.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Actually amy solid state amp will remain accurate and won't overheat at low levels (let's guess up to ten watts even for power challwnged systems.) If your system would require 1000 watts for movie peaks at reference, and you listen 20 dB below reference, 10 watts is all you need to fully power your peaks.

Power tubes are a huge impedance mismatch for speakers, so an appropriate output transformer is necessary to make them work. If the transformer is too far from the speakers' impedance bad things including big frequency response anomalies and exploding tubes can occur. An issue if you have tube amps. Not an issue if you don't.

With a reasonably designed solid state amp, the only worry with low impedance is excess heat when pushed hard. before I accepted the truly giant frequency response peaks and dips inherent in multiple speakers per channel, I'd carefully experiment with single lower inpedance speakers. Careful means start quiet and slowly increase levels to your personal max . ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have AV receiver Samsung HW-C700 (7.2), now I using speakers Samsung PS-xC560S (6 ohm) but I have only 4 this speakers and center (subwoofer is active). If I can buy 2 more this speakers (or all 7.1 set for this receiver) I don't need pairing 3 ohm speakers. I looking for ebay last 2 months and still nothing :( I was hope its easy pair 2x 3ohm speakers (because Samsung make only 3 ohm for home theater set's) and I have 4 Samsung PS-DS4 - I was want pair 2 PS-DS4 like front left and front right.

Now I really don't know what I will do :(.

If anyone have any idea please help me ;)

Thanks you very very much Robert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts