AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first posting here.. I have been browsing this site for quite sometime and I learned a lot from you guys..


I am buying a new home and wanted to get a prewiring done for my family room. Here are the pics and diagram..


- I am planning for 42" Plasma

- 12" subwoofer



Could you please let me know if I am placing the speaker correct? Are there anything else I need to take care of right now?


I need to finalize the location and give it to the builder by tomorrow.


Greatly appreciate your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Not going to comment on the locations, but I would recommend you either don't have the skylights installed, or see about upgrading to a unit that has remote controlled shades included. We have skylights in our tv room and they can be very annoying at certain times of the day/seasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, but it is too late.. Sky lights are structural changes and I have chosen it long ago and cant change it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,363 Posts
Where will the listening area be (i.e., how far from the rear wall is your couch)?


Does the closet on the front wall open into the room (i.e., are the closet doors on the front wall)?


Sanjay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,363 Posts
Maran,


Thanx for the pics; they're helpful.


I would move all three front speakers down from where you have them. I'd put the centre speaker right below the plasma and the L/R speakers the same height off the floor. From your drawing it looks like this will end up putting the three front speakers roughly at ear height, which is helpful in achieving a consistent front soundstage with good imaging.


Couple more questions to help make suggestions. How high up is the top edge of the back window? And where will the listening area be (distance from rear wall)?


Sanjay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maransm
Thanks for the advice, but it is too late.. Sky lights are structural changes and I have chosen it long ago and cant change it....
If you are serious about having this as a home theater area (and it seems you are), I'd look into getting some remote controlled skylight blinds. They have both battery powered units and ones that can be hardwired. The hardwired units are cheaper (and you don't have to worry about access for battery changes) and would be much easier to rough wire now for them.

Here's Hunter Douglas' skylight shade units.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
Maran,


Thanx for the pics; they're helpful.


I would move all three front speakers down from where you have them. I'd put the centre speaker right below the plasma and the L/R speakers the same height off the floor. From your drawing it looks like this will end up putting the three front speakers roughly at ear height, which is helpful in achieving a consistent front soundstage with good imaging.


Couple more questions to help make suggestions. How high up is the top edge of the back window? And where will the listening area be (distance from rear wall)?


Sanjay
Thanks for the suggestions..


How high up is the top edge of the back window?

>>> I think it is around 6-7 feet.


And where will the listening area be (distance from rear wall)?

>>> It will be within couple of feets since I am planning to put a sectional sofa close to the window.


Hope it helps..


For the size of this room, Does the 12" sub would be sufficient? I still need to pick the speakers. I liked Paradigm, polk, Boston, Klipsch and Infinity.. Are there any min size requirement for the speakers?


Thanks again..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,363 Posts
Maran,


One more thing I forgot to mention about the front speakers: the spread looks kind of small, which wil give you a somewhat pinched front soundstage. I would separate the L/R speakers more widely. [see attached]


Sanjay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maransm
It will be within couple of feets since I am planning to put a sectional sofa close to the window.
In that case you may want to consider going with a 5.1-speaker set-up. To do a proper 7.1 layout, you really do need a good distance between the listening area and the rear speakers. Having those speakers 'within couple feet' of the listeners can be distracting, which is the last thing you want when watching a movie.


I'm attaching a couple more diagrams. If you look at the 5.1 layout, you'll notice that the surround speaker placement fits nicely with your room and choice of seating location. You can place the two surround speakers in the back corners of the room and get decent envelopment while maintaining strong left-vs-right separation in the surround field.


If you're willing to move the seating area a few feet away from the rear wall, then you'll be a better candidate for a 7.1 set-up. You'll also be at a better viewing distance for a 42 inch plasma.


Best,

Sanjay

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx
Hmm, would that be a Toll Brothers home?
Damn... you got it right.. I dont know why Toll Brothers do this.. I have to go with their electrical contractor for my HT setup. the contract tells Toll brothers how much it costs and Toll Brothers will quote me their price.. I hate it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
I have two 2X4' sky lights in my room and a very high vaulted ceiling. To say they make things watching very difficult is an understatement. I had skylight blinds installed for those days that I am home and want to watch something. Makes all the difference in the world. They are not electric.. I have a plastic colapsable pole that works just fine. When I put a new roof an and also do new skylights I may consider putting the ones in that have the shades in between the panes of glass and are electronic open and close... For now though this works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
Maran,


One more thing I forgot to mention about the front speakers: the spread looks kind of small, which wil give you a somewhat pinched front soundstage. I would separate the L/R speakers more widely. [see attached]


Sanjay
Sanjay,

1. Presently I am planning to place the L and R speakers at about 5 feet from the ground. Do you think I should go with 3 or 4 feet?


2. How much distance do I need to maintain between L and R?


3. What would be the good viewing distance for 42" plasma?


I want to go with 7.1, so probably I will move the sofa little further from the window..


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maransm
Damn... you got it right.. I dont know why Toll Brothers do this.. I have to go with their electrical contractor for my HT setup. the contract tells Toll brothers how much it costs and Toll Brothers will quote me their price.. I hate it..


The pictures looked very familiar :) We were very close to getting a Toll brothers house built recently (went with another builder for a better lot). Toll Brothers makes some really nice houses... getting the basement finished?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,363 Posts
Maran,
Quote:
Presently I am planning to place the L and R speakers at about 5 feet from the ground. Do you think I should go with 3 or 4 feet?
Yes, for the reasons stated earlier. Three feet is roughly ear height. Having all three front speakers at the same height is recommended so that sounds don't change in height as they move around the front soundstage.
Quote:
How much distance do I need to maintain between L and R?
Depends on how far you're sitting from them. Typical spread for the front stereo pair is 50 to 60 degrees (which comes out to 1.0 or 1.2 times the listening distance). So if you are sitting 10 feet from the front wall, then the speakers should be roughly 10-12 feet apart.
Quote:
What would be the good viewing distance for 42" plasma?
If you check with THX and SMPTE, they recommend somewhere between 5 to 7 feet.


Sanjay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx
The pictures looked very familiar :) We were very close to getting a Toll brothers house built recently (went with another builder for a better lot). Toll Brothers makes some really nice houses... getting the basement finished?
Great to know that.. No way, I am furnishing the basement, cant afford it.. I got the good lot but had to pay premium for it anyway...


Yeah, they have pretty good homes, fallen in love from the moment we drove around the community..


Good luck in your new home..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
Maran, Yes, for the reasons stated earlier. Three feet is roughly ear height. Having all three front speakers at the same height is recommended so that sounds don't change in height as they move around the front soundstage. Depends on how far you're sitting from them. Typical spread for the front stereo pair is 50 to 60 degrees (which comes out to 1.0 or 1.2 times the listening distance). So if you are sitting 10 feet from the front wall, then the speakers should be roughly 10-12 feet apart. If you check with THX and SMPTE, they recommend somewhere between 5 to 7 feet.


Sanjay
Thanks a lot Sanjay. Greatly appreciate your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maransm
Great to know that.. No way, I am furnishing the basement, cant afford it.. I got the good lot but had to pay premium for it anyway...


Yeah, they have pretty good homes, fallen in love from the moment we drove around the community..


Good luck in your new home..
Well... I would wait to really do the HT until (maybe someday) you get the basement finished. You can then make a dedicated room :) The builder charges double compared to what a local contractor might charge. But I know how it is, I doubt I could wait either ;)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top