AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble situating my Front and Center speakers in my new 7.1 setup. I know that most speaker manufacturers recommend to have the front L/R speakers with the tweeters at ear height (with respect to the primary listening position). I also have heard that it is best to have your Center channel at roughly the same height as your fronts for best soundfield integration. However, my Center sits on a mantle that is about 2 feet higher than ear height. It can't be placed any lower because the mantle is above a fireplace, and that area has to remain clear. Thus I can either have my Fronts at ear height, thereby being out of alignment with the Center, or I can have all 3 speakers in alignment but at 2 feet higher than ear height. Which would be the lesser of two evils?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
In most configurations that include a flat panel display the ideal placement is impossible. You could tilt the center speaker down slightly so that it is pointed at primary listening position. I wouldn't bring all three speakers up - three wrongs do not make a right

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
In that situation i would choose to do one of two things;

1) Eliminate the center channel entirely

2) Put some sort of shims, spacers, or feet under the center channel speaker to face it downward toward ear level.

One thing many people do not do correctly is the proper positioning of the front speakers.

This must be done with ALL other speakers disabled.REPEAT; all other speakers must be disabled while you optimize the front speaker L/R positions.

THIS IS JOB ONE!! You must do it FIRST!!!!

You need to experiment with proper height, tilt, and positioning relative to the rear and side walls, until the front two speakers give the best sound quality.

You CAN NOT do this with any of the other speakers operating!!!

ONLY after you have the front speakers optimized should the other speakers be energized.

You can never get the setup right unless you do this FIRST!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts