AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This past weekend we bought a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40s....when I put them in the "existing location" the shiny glossy sides reflected off of our 60" Samsung like a light beacon!

After reviewing speaker placement guidelines that might actually be a blessing in disguise. If you can see the photo below, the 'existing location' was directly right and left of the TV, spaced about 5 1/2 feet apart. Moving them to the sides actually made the sound a bit better, better L/C/R separation - wider so to speak - but as you can see in the photograph they can not stay in that position....so I will move them out further (left corner, right of the mantle).

That puts the speakers about 13ft apart, and each one is about 13ft to the center listening position (triangle). Distance from the center to the TV is about 9 feet. Do you think that is ok or too much?

Other choice is to get other speakers with a matte finish, and put them in the 'existing' location but then we lose some of that grand separation.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Move them out further and toe the speakers into the main listening position (Angle them slight towards you.)
Yeah, that is the likely situation. Then I can run the setup in my receiver. I am looking at whether I can snake the speaker wiring along each wall so they are not showing, but as you can see on the right there is a gas fireplace (used infrequently) so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
Hi all,
This past weekend we bought a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40s....when I put them in the "existing location" the shiny glossy sides reflected off of our 60" Samsung like a light beacon!

After reviewing speaker placement guidelines that might actually be a blessing in disguise. If you can see the photo below, the 'existing location' was directly right and left of the TV, spaced about 5 1/2 feet apart. Moving them to the sides actually made the sound a bit better, better L/C/R separation - wider so to speak - but as you can see in the photograph they can not stay in that position....so I will move them out further (left corner, right of the mantle).

That puts the speakers about 13ft apart, and each one is about 13ft to the center listening position (triangle). Distance from the center to the TV is about 9 feet. Do you think that is ok or too much?

Other choice is to get other speakers with a matte finish, and put them in the 'existing' location but then we lose some of that grand separation.

Thanks
An equilateral triangle between the mains and the MLP is actually the preferred configuration. You'll be golden. :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The only problem with him spreading them out is the couch is right there. He can't really space the left one out anymore. That room doesn't have a very good layout for speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only problem with him spreading them out is the couch is right there. He can't really space the left one out anymore. That room doesn't have a very good layout for speakers.
Yeah, the room layout does not help, but the left speaker is about two feet from that love seat, and it appears that I only lose line of siight to the bottom woofer. My normal sitting position is also shifted to the right, which helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts