AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have My speakers setup as a pair of fronts, center, surround back, surround sides, and a pair in the ceiling for top front.

Now I was looking to add a pair in the front for either front wide or front high. But having the Top fronts, can I still add a pair for front highs, or would I be better adding them for front wide?

This gets a little confusing. :)

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
Currently I have My speakers setup as a pair of fronts, center, surround back, surround sides, and a pair in the ceiling for top front.

Now I was looking to add a pair in the front for either front wide or front high. But having the Top fronts, can I still add a pair for front highs, or would I be better adding them for front wide?

This gets a little confusing. :)

thanks for any help.
Top Front and Front Height are not an allowed combination of overhead speakers: they're too close together.

Front Wide speakers are not used by Dolby Surround, which many people prefer to the other upmixers, so I'd tend not to use them. That's very much a personal choice, though.

If you can, I'd suggest re-designating your current front overhead speakers as Front Height. Then they can be used with both Dolby Surround and DTS Neo:X upmixers.

Then install either Top Middle or Top Rear speakers depending on where your main seating is located. In particular, if your seating is against the back wall then you have to use Top Middle. If there's plenty of room behind the seating, then Top Rear or Rear Height would be the ones to use.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.

Now would this be ok?

I basically want to add another set of fronts. Same exact speakers. One pair is at the bottom side of the screen and I wanted to add another set at the top side of the screen.

I have the existing bottom fronts using the speakers post on the receiver. Then I want to take the front out using the RCA and run them to my amp, then connect the top front speakers to that. This way I get the same sound out on the top as the bottom but driving the top with an external amp.

Any reason why I couldn't do this?

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Now would this be ok?

I basically want to add another set of fronts. Same exact speakers. One pair is at the bottom side of the screen and I wanted to add another set at the top side of the screen.

I have the existing bottom fronts using the speakers post on the receiver. Then I want to take the front out using the RCA and run them to my amp, then connect the top front speakers to that. This way I get the same sound out on the top as the bottom but driving the top with an external amp.

Any reason why I couldn't do this?
No reason.

Be sure to run the calibration procedure after you've connected them so that the sound levels are set correctly.

Of course, since the AVR doesn't know that's what you've done, the upmixers won't treat them separately, but that seems to be what you want anyhow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts