AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a few years of building my basement its almost done, just need my theater setup! Trying to figure out the best way to have everything setup. Id like to have 7.2 if possible, but im not sure if the room will really allow it. Ill be using a epson 3500 with a 92" screen.Ill attach a picture of the layout and if anyone can give me tips on the best layout that be awesome. One note above the couch there is a bulk head that runs across the room. O yeah the roof is about 9'.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
With that configuration, no 7.1 wouldn't work (I'm assuming that is a wall behind the couch, but kinda hard to tell)....you need a good amount of distance behind the seating for rear surrounds to work correctly - 3' at the very least, more is better.

Why not put the display and speakers centered on one of the short walls and the seating in the middle of the room? Corner theater setups are not good for sound quality (is that supposed to be your TV in the corner??).

BTW, 5.1 means five speakers with one subwoofer, 7.2 means seven speakers with two subwoofers. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i kind figured it wouldnt work,o well! my wife made me move it all around anyways, so now the couch is in the corner and the projector on that flat wall, the only problem it theres a heater vent right were i want to mount the projector! how far from the vent should the projector be, im more then capable of moving the vent, but its in front of a window so i cant really move it too far. Whats min. distance the vent should be from my pj?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Alan, i'm going to disagree with you.

7.1 comes in several flavors; a shallow, wide room is not conducive to the first option, but the second works very well.
- surrounds + rear
- surrounds + front wide
- surrounds + front height

And 7.2 implies 2 channels of subwoofer output, with no implications for the number of subwoofers used (although less than 2 would miss the point). What is implied, whatever room correction system is used, that it can correct two channels of LFE. This is not always the case when dual subwoofer/LFE outputs are provided. Appearances not withstanding, my AVR is not 7.2, it just has a built in splitter.
[/DISAGREEMENT]

At the same time, 32'x 12' is a very wide room, where space might be better utilized aiming the screen at the short wall, as your wife likely discovered. You can then think of it as a small theater with a large lobby in the back. Layout your speakers as if it were only 15-20' deep, but use the added space so no one sits near a speaker, even the surrounds. The final act would be to put a porous divider about 8' from the rear wall, as a room-size bass trap (don't laugh, it's been done).

I'm also curious about the 8'x24' area to the left, and the odd rectangle where the two spaces meet. Are these separate rooms?

Finally, this is a basement. You should expect bass mode issues. I wasn't kidding about that divider. My best suggestion is to get an inexpensive measurement rig and start playing with subwoofer placement, so you can get some data on what could be a real issue - bass frequency decay rates. Make that room decay in general, if this is an empty basement. Everything you add has acoustic effect, with the great saving grace the fact that we humans all like rooms with about the same decay rates. You'll natrually furnish your house to the right decay rate range at higher frequencies, but may want to tweak a theater, and will have to address bass modes.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
Alan, i'm going to disagree with you.

7.1 comes in several flavors; a shallow, wide room is not conducive to the first option, but the second works very well.
- surrounds + rear
- surrounds + front wide
- surrounds + front height

And 7.2 implies 2 channels of subwoofer output, with no implications for the number of subwoofers used (although less than 2 would miss the point). What is implied, whatever room correction system is used, that it can correct two channels of LFE. This is not always the case when dual subwoofer/LFE outputs are provided. Appearances not withstanding, my AVR is not 7.2, it just has a built in splitter.
You are, of course, correct...it's the little things that trip up my (sometimes hastily typed) advice. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts