AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Description of Issue:
So due to a recent sudden move and having to quickly buy a house, I have to make due with a small house from 1948 with an odd 12x12 room with a 7 foot ceiling for my tv/theater/game room. I can place the speakers in a square directly face with a couch placed center on the back of the room. Question is I have a 7.1 Surround sound speaker system with Polk Monitor's ( the re-release from a few years ago). I am trying to figure out what the ideal set up for this room would be, with the rears on stands currently they are directly behind the couch just a hair above ear level, side speakers are directly to the side and at ear level as well. On the upside the house is VERY well insulated and retains sound well.

Questions:
Should I consider wall mounting the sides and rears? If so how and what direction (low ceiling) but I would not mind the extra floor room especially if it enhances sound at all.

Speaker Information
Two Polk Towers, 4 Bookshelf's and a center + Sub.

P.S I know audiophiles are going to be well you can't do 7.1 in a room like that and so on and so forth but it what I have from my last house and I don't currently have a huge choice, so I am looking for help from those more experienced then I am.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
You can put a 7.1 anywhere. Me personally, I like the surrounds the higher the better. You don't want the speaker right in your ear. I would wall mount them. I have mine about 7' high and I love the sound that I am getting.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
With a square room, for the best possible acoustics would be to place the system on the diagonal (LCRs across one corner) and the side surrounds on the walls more less inline with the seating, back surrounds across the rear corner.

For surround height, on a 15* angle above the ear level, when seated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far, I kinda like the idea of wall mounting due to saving on space in a smaller room. and if I was to Wall mount I would assume I would need to angle the speakers downward?

As for having it set diagonal like a diamond shape, I am not sure there would be enough room for the seating and the sound system + TV with that configuration. That said I like the idea and will do measurements because that thought had not even crossed my mind.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
It depends on your taste. My surrounds are not angled down, but they are dipole surrounds. I personally do not like surrounds pointed right at me. Surround sound needs to be wide and airy and not directional. But others like the directional sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts