AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new house and want to get surround sound wired in the main room but have no idea where to put the speakers. Our floowplan is attached and we are going to put the TV on the fireplace. I have 5 B&W M1s for speakers. For the fronts I was thinking about putting them on the mantle and the center was thinking about above and behind the TV mounted on the wall. I have no idea about what to do for rear placement so any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked and I couldn't really find anything that fit my room shape. Does anyone else have any thoughts. Should I invest in 6.1 or 7.1?

Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
It's not so much of the shape of you room that is the problem, it's the configuration. There should be a dedicated sweet spot in every room. In yours there is none. No matter where you sit you will not be aligned with your speakers not even in one seat. Perhaps angle the couch parallel with the TV, keep the chair where it's at, and move the love seat on the right side of the couch. You will have three good seats and at least two for people who don't care about how good your stuff sounds. The front two speakers on the mantle will be ok at best. I suggest putting them on stands below the mantle to be ear level. Don't mount the center behind the TV. Mount the TV on the wall and put the center on the mantle and angle it down. Either that or place the center on a speaker stand right in front of the fireplace. For the surrounds I would wall mount if you don't like clutter. A 5.1 or 6.1 configuration will probably be more ideal than a 7.1 depending on how much you want to put in your space. You might have to bend some rules if you don't wanna do any construction. If you have a wife that isn't keen on looking at transducers you might wanna get real handy.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
As Mr. Audio says, having your seating in an L shape and the display on the diagonal makes for tough choices. If you cannot rearrange the room to place the primary listening positon(s) more or less centered on a line perpendicular from the display all is not lost.

Your receiver's auto set up can compensate to some degree for asymmetrical set ups. You should place the microphone in the primary listening spot or between the two seats that approximate the primary spot.

Ideally your mains and center will be in the same plane, with the mains equidistant from the display, but you can fudge on that a bit. If the center is a bit forward or behind the plane of the mains a foot or even two it won't make much difference. But with your display in the corner your mains will be well forward of the display and it may want to consider putting the center on a stand.

You should consider going with a 7.1 setup. The advantage is that the rear surrounds create a deeper more enveloping sound field and allow a good experience even for those listeners who are seated forward of the side surrounds.

You need to set up your gear and do some listening with various alternatives. You may not get one seat in the sweet spot, but you may get seats where the sound is good enough. There is flexibility in the Dolby guidelines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely look into moving the furniture around and reorganizing the room. I am for sure going to wall mount the rears so that it looks cleaner. The room is above the garage so I am going to have an electrician help with wiring the rears through the garage. I just have to figure out where to put them since I get one shot. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niegowsj /forum/post/12983800

I will definitely look into moving the furniture around and reorganizing the room. I am for sure going to wall mount the rears so that it looks cleaner. The room is above the garage so I am going to have an electrician help with wiring the rears through the garage. I just have to figure out where to put them since I get one shot. Thanks a lot.

Electricians are super expensive, they make contractors & the like look cheap!

Unless it's a friend & it's cheap, you might consider doing some or most of the work yourself, especially if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

Start here: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index....ROD&ProdID=649

That's a site selling "Labor Saving Devices" products.

But.. They have some way cool instructional videos on their site that you can watch for free.

Each tool you click on has videos accompanying it, well most do. Click around & see.

Then you can also do some Googling for wire fishing techniques & tricks, etc..

You may even be able to get some ideas of your own from those videos & just run with it, without their tools.

If you decide that's for you, or your game, go for it & have some buddies over you trust to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts