·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I've recently upgraded my ht system with the

mighty Panasonic Hs-2 DVD recorder.

I'm extremely satisfied about it but I've got

a problem with placing my central speaker.

As you can see from the pic that I've included

there are three shelves in the furniture.

On the first one I have my vcr, dvd player and

the a/v receiver, the second one is for the

central speaker and the lowest one is for the

sat receiver.

In this pic I still didn't have the Panny.

Since I don't wanna put the Punny at the

"ground floor" I've tought of placing the center

speaker to the lowest "floor" but I wonder if

this way I might experience a bad decrease in

sound from this speaker.

Could anyone please suggest me what is the best

solution?

I've heard that the best thing is to place the central

speaker at the same level of the front side ones but

as you can see from the pic if I moved it it would be

low. Would this affect the sound badly?

What if I left the center speaker where it is right now?

Is it still too low?

Thanks in advance for anyone who'll reply and solve

my problem!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello Fingolfin

You sure have a lot of things stacked under the tv. Make sure they get enough ventilation -- especially the receiver.

Based on your picture, it appears that the top shelf is flush with the front and not overhanging. That said, the upper shelf is a good spot for the center. The lower level is too close to the floor -- lots of unwanted reflection. The middle shelf is ok, but closer to the tv will sound more realistic. As long as the center and main speakers are within 20" or so, the sound field should stay whole.

An alternative to consider is to build a shelf to put between the stand top and the tv, creating another shelf space. Here you could put the center or one of the components -- maybe the receiver. Putting so many boxes so close together is risky, lots of heat and little ventilation.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your kind reply!

Your idea is good but i can't build another shelf 'cause then the tv would be too high and also 'cause I've got the screen for the videoprojector falling exactly ahead the tv.

I think I'll leave the central speaker in the central space and put the

dvd recorder above the dvd player and the vcr above the sat receiver

at the lower floor.

Your consideration about not putting the center speaker too low is right so since I can't put it at the top floor 'cause then i would have problems handling the other things, i guess keeping it where it is now it's the best thing after all.

Also thanks for telling me about the ventilation problems. Actually the back of the furniture is free and there's some space between the furniture and the wall so i thought air would circulate anyway.

I was thinking though if it could be useful to install fans right behind the a/v receiver. I always see those racks on the gallery and I wonder how they are ventilate...are there fans cooling the components?

Do you think it would be good then to put like 2 fans behind the ampli?

Thanks again for your reply and interest!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
784 Posts
fingolfin,

Another improvement for center channel sound would be to place a nice heavy carpet in front of the TV rack. This will help reduce the first reflection from the floor. You will notice increased clarity. Try it!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Fingolfin

Quote:
I was thinking though if it could be useful to install fans right behind the a/v receiver. I always see those racks on the gallery and I wonder how they are ventilate...are there fans cooling the components?

Do you think it would be good then to put like 2 fans behind the ampli?
I thought about mentioning fans in my previous post, didn't but should have. Proper ventilation calls for space above and on the sides, and by your picture you may not have enough of either. A couple of small, low noise fans would help -- you don't need cooling, just circulation. There have been posts in the past on this, try a search. be careful of the noise, though.
Quote:
Another improvement for center channel sound would be to place a nice heavy carpet in front of the TV rack. This will help reduce the first reflection from the floor. You will notice increased clarity. Try it!
Another fine suggestion - it should make a big difference.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot for your kind replies!

Actually there is already a carpet in front of the tv

but it wasn't there when i took the pic! My fault!

I was thinking of putting a small square rug under

the subwoofer too (cause it's got the speaker

pointing to the floor and the neighbours complain

sometimes).

Would that be a good idea?

I'll see if i can find some silent fans to solve also

the heating problem!

Thanks again for your interest!

fingolfin

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking of putting a small square rug under

the subwoofer too (cause it's got the speaker

pointing to the floor and the neighbours complain

sometimes).

Would that be a good idea?
It's not going to help the neighbor problem and won't affect the sound quality. For sound, the rug in front of the center speaker will lessen the reflections of the mid-range and high-end sounds, like voices and such. The sub will sound ok with or without the rug.

Regarding the neighbors, it won't help. You will need to turn the volume down or use some room treatments. There have been a couple of threads over the last few months on subs in apartments, with some suggestions on how to work on that -- although there's not much that can be done.

Regards, Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.