AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing to add 5.1 to this living room but I'm not positive as to where to put the surrounds or even the mains for that matter. I've attached a layout of the room for you guys to look at and hopefully help. The red square (chair) is the and the right part of the couch (blue rectangle) is the sweet spot. there is also the other chair (blue squar but it is no big deal..

I've labelled where i was thinking about putting them. The would mount apporimately 7-8ft high though.

the other issue is the mains. There are only two spots either on top of the tv with the center as far left and as far right as possible though. The TV is a Sony 57" HDTV widescreen. which is basically 53" wide.

or i can go with putting the mains on top of the bookshleves on both sides of the tv and center on tv. the only issue with this is the mains will be about 7ft high and the center will be about 5.5 foot high.

the sub will be positioned somewhere behind the couch.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I think that with the surrounds you can install them where you marked on the diagram. With a RS SPL meter and Avia you can set the levels so they match. If your receiver/prepro allows for time delays on the rear channels you can do even more configuring.

My surrounds are a lot like yours and with proper calibration they sound fine.

Now for the mains. Putting them on top of the bookshelves is going to kill any soundstage you might have. The tweeters need to be at ear level for the speakers to perform at their fullest.

If you put them on the TV, they will be too close together.

I would think that it would be better to have them close together than on top of the bookshelves. On the TV they will still be too high, but it won't be 7'.

What kind of speakers are these? What receiver/prepro will be running them? This information will help people help you immensley.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
Eric,

I think you can get away the front speakers being higher up if you tilt them downwards. It's not optimal, but I would prefer it to placing all three front speakers on the TV. I wouldn't worry so much about the surrounds. Kevin is correct: most competent receivers/pre-pros should allow you to use volume level adjustments and time alignment to take care of asymetrical speaker placement issues.

BTW, one thing that would help immensely (so I have to ask): any chance of moving the furniture and TV around?

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Sanjay - you have the best solution. If you flip your couch/chair with the TV and bookshelves, you will have plent of room for your main speakers to be at the correct height. There is that window that I suppose the wife dosen't want covered, but it might fit.

If your wife is like mine, this isn't going to work. Worth a try.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
Kevin,
Quote:
If you flip your couch/chair with the TV and bookshelves, you will have plent of room for your main speakers to be at the correct height. There is that window that I suppose the wife dosen't want covered, but it might fit.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of putting the TV and bookshelves on the east wall. This way, the TV is also visable from the dining table or the adjacent area (kitchen?). Plus, none of the windows are obscured (wouldn't want to upset the wife). There's room on either side of the TV for large floorstanding speakers, or satellites on speaker stands.

I did a quick & dirty re-do of Eric's drawing to show what I'm talking about; couch in blue, surround speakers in red.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sanjay is right that would be perfect but that isn't going to happen.. WAF..

I forgot to mention the equipment for audio. It will be a receiver with a zone 2 that can play the surround along with a seperate source for zone 2 speakers.. maybe the Onkyo sr700.. any suggestions? I'm not sure if Denon receivers have the zone 2 that does this do they?

As for speakers it is still up in the air.. I saw the Velodyne spl-523 but haven't heard them. I want to know more about them before purchasing though. I would like something small.. WAF.. like those or the Ant Gallo's.. but I may settle for some PSB's.. with a velodyne SPL-1200..

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My Denon 3802 as Zone 2 out. It will play 5.1 in the family room and another 2 channel source into the basement.

Best best thing about the 3802 is that the Zone 2 outputs can be powered by the internal amps of the 3802. The 3802 has 7 amps for 7.1, and since I only have 5.1 I use the extra 2 amps for the basement speakers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I helped a buddy set up his 3802 with the zone two and it is a nice set up. You might also consider the Pioneer Elite 45TX. It is seven channel and you can assign a second zone. The set up is a little easier, IMO, than the 3802. It also has MCACC, an automatic calibration system that would make it a lot easier to calibrate your odd shaped room. I got the 45tx because my living and dining room form an L. Read up on the MCACC in some other posts. It is a cool feature.

There are some other current posts regarding affordable speakers and the WAF factor. The Gallos are mentioned as well as a JM Lab system, M&K system, and several others. There seems to be a lot of new packages from some very reputable companies lately with a high WAF rating. Oh, Rocket is coming out with a nice package called the ELT or something like that.

You should have a lot of good stores in Houston to audition speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.