AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of posts in the archives that deal with speaker placement. I've read most of them and still have a question. I live in a small apartment where space is at a premium. Pretty much the only way I can arrange my HT setup is to place my rear speakers right next to the couch where 99% of our watching will be done. Both the couch and the speakers will be up against the rear wall, so there's really no room to place the speakers behind the couch at all. I'm concerned about the rear speakers blasting directly into my ears.

This is for a 5.1 setup -- can anyone comment on rear speaker placement? Is this an issue or can I work around it?

Thanks.

--kurt

·
Registered
30,209 Posts
Kurt,

Absolutely you can work around your space problem. Even with your surround speakers next to you, there are any number of things you can do to prevent the surrounds from attracting too much attention to themselves. First of all, you can play with the delay to 'virtually' place the speakers further away. Then, you can adjust the rear volume level so that they're not distracting. The latter actually works very well; try experimenting and at some point you'll find a volume level where it doesn't seem like the the surrounds are active but instead it sounds like your front speakers have 'come into the room' and are wrapped along the side walls.

Also, if you want to avoid the sound of your rears blasting directly into your ears, don't point them directly at your ears. Try placing them on the floor, pointing up; on the ceiling or high on the rear wall, pointing down. BTW, my dad had the same exact placement problem that you did. He ended up placing the rears over his head in the middle of the back wall; they were back to back, around 6 inches apart, pointing at the side walls. This bathed the rear corners and side walls with sound and resulted in a nice & ambient surround field. It sounded good with movies and it sounded really great with music. And while he didn't get the kind of specific imaging that you can get with speakers pointed directly at your head, he did get good separation for the stereo rears. Diffuse or not, I could definitely tell surround information on the left side of the room vs the right side.

So it won't be perfect (what ever is?) but, with a little imagination and some experimenting, you can end up with a very nice sounding surround field.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions -- they make a lot of sense. Looking forward to trying them all out. :)

--kurt

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have my rears placed on the back wall which my couch sits against. The speakers are about 3 feet above my head when sitting and they point directly toward one another, not down. This helps to make the "sweet" spot larger. The speakers are as far apart as I can get them. I find this setup works really well.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.