AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

So I moved into a new apartment, mounted my Sammy 58" to the wall, built a new stand, have the center and front positions figured out perfectly....and am currently STUMPED as to where to place the rears. I've attached pics so I won't have to explain my odd room layout, and also note that the living room can basically only be arranged in the way it is now (g/f and friends spent about 2 hours figuring out the most advantageous way of positioning everything, and this is what works the best). Please let me know what you think, all I am looking for is some suggestions as to where to place the rears for optimal soundstaging and clarity. Thanks so much!

Tim

This is looking at the front wall, front surrounds will be to left and right of TV

This is the left-hand side of the above picture; this speaker is the one I am struggling with the most

Right hand side of first picture; my thoughts are either near the cluster of 4 pictures (kind of far away) or next to the canvas mural behind the couch (showcased in below picture)

Canvas mural that I am thinking of placing the speaker adjacent to (worried about how sound will flow to the couch butted up against the sliding glass door if it is pointing straight forward)

So there you go guys. What are your thoughts/ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump for ideas?

someone has to be able to help me out, I just need somebody with a little knowledge on placement to help me figure out the best spot for the best sound....then I'll go away.....

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
So, are you looking at a 5.1 or a 7.1 configuration, here? That is a tough room for wall-mounting (as most apartments are). When I was in your position, I used speaker stands for my surrounds. Is that a possibility for you?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
going for 5.1; I have thought about stands, but like the idea of the speakers being wall-mounted and not taking up valuable floor space. But if I can't figure anything out, that may be the way I have to go. And yes, it is an INCREDIBLY tough room, I can't seem to figure out any good placement for the speakers to get decent surround sound. Hence why I posted here haha!

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Your problem is your listening position(s). None of them are good. You want at least one primary listening position directly in front of the display and centered on it. Then the surrounds should be at 90 to 110 degrees from that position. Here is what Dolby recommends:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...omlayout2.html

If you can't place a sofa directly in front of the display, I wouldn't even bother hooking up the surrounds.

Craig

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem is, that's about the only way the living room can be set-up....I can play around a little bit when I get home, but let's say the arrangement can't be changed....should I truly not even bother with the surrounds if I can't change the positioning?

·
Banned
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMan916 /forum/post/14320650

Hi all-

So I moved into a new apartment, mounted my Sammy 58" to the wall, built a new stand, have the center and front positions figured out perfectly....and am currently STUMPED as to where to place the rears. I've attached pics so I won't have to explain my odd room layout, and also note that the living room can basically only be arranged in the way it is now (g/f and friends spent about 2 hours figuring out the most advantageous way of positioning everything, and this is what works the best). Please let me know what you think, all I am looking for is some suggestions as to where to place the rears for optimal soundstaging and clarity. Thanks so much!

Tim

This is looking at the front wall, front surrounds will be to left and right of TV

This is the left-hand side of the above picture; this speaker is the one I am struggling with the most

Right hand side of first picture; my thoughts are either near the cluster of 4 pictures (kind of far away) or next to the canvas mural behind the couch (showcased in below picture)

Canvas mural that I am thinking of placing the speaker adjacent to (worried about how sound will flow to the couch butted up against the sliding glass door if it is pointing straight forward)

So there you go guys. What are your thoughts/ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Your solution may be as simple as a Yamaha YSP-4000BL digital sound projector. See this website:

http://www.jr.com/yamaha/pe/YAM_YSP4000BL/

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whoa I wish that could be a simple solution, however I am not in the financial position to be able to drop $1500 on a sound projector...thanks for the advice though!

I guess I could upgrade my speakers and stay 2-channel, but I'm trying to avoid spending extraneous money, and I just got these Klipsch's and really do enjoy them. I do a lot of gaming and movies, so 5.1 is pretty important to me...I'll try to play around with the furniture arrangement, but can anybody see any possibilities at all given the current positioning?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Maybe you can find a ceiling-mount for your speakers, and angle them down at an angle. Not the ideal solution, but something else to consider.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmmmm you may be on to something...the Quintet's have a mountable base, so that may be an option....how do you think it would sound? good enough?

while I'm asking questions, is the center channel on top better than in a little cubby hole in the TV stand? I built a little hole for it to sit in but am worried that the sound won't carry that well with the coffee table in front of it....ideas?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
While I still have a hard time picturing the room (3rd pic couch... is that directly in front of tv?)...

perhaps try some plant hangers. Some people have had very good luck with that. If you do so, then I definitely vote for center as higher mounted.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, the thing is neither of the couches is in front of the tv. The first pic is a head-on view of the living room, and behind the living room (where I stood to take the picture) is an open extension of the living room where my didning table is....basically the room is an disproportioned 'L'. Behind the couch that is angled is our entrance (directly across from the closet doors you can see) and obviously behind the length-wise couch is the doors to the patio.

Thing is, my gf and her friend tried to arrange the room a million times, and having a couch and the coffee table in front of the TV doesn't give much room to walk behind the couch to get to the kitchen and dining room....so I am kind of at a loss. But I'm not quite sure how the plant hanger thing works, care to elaborate?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Um, you put the speaker in the plant hanger. Then it doesn't have to be on a wall either, but at any point of the ceiling? Haven't done it myself, just know that others have.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
tough room for wall-mounting

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Don't bother with surround sound unless you have a couch in front of the TV.

I do love my games, and they work really well with my stereo + subwoofer setup. If you cannot get your room setup correct, don't even bother with thinking about surround sound. Just adds way too many things that just make the sound worse, not better.

Even if the couches have to be against the wall, at least get a recliner that is the Master Chair in front of the TV, then you can start thinking about surround sound.

·
Banned
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMan916 /forum/post/14324500

whoa I wish that could be a simple solution, however I am not in the financial position to be able to drop $1500 on a sound projector...thanks for the advice though!

I guess I could upgrade my speakers and stay 2-channel, but I'm trying to avoid spending extraneous money, and I just got these Klipsch's and really do enjoy them. I do a lot of gaming and movies, so 5.1 is pretty important to me...I'll try to play around with the furniture arrangement, but can anybody see any possibilities at all given the current positioning?

The Yamaha I cited was a top of the line example of a sound bar. You can purchase a Polk Audio SurroundBar Speaker System for as little as $450.00 from Amazon. With the setup you are showing this may be one of the few scenarios that work. The soundbar could be placed directly beneath your tv.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, so let's say I either get a recliner or reposition the couches....what would be the best placement for the rears? one by the cluster of pictures perhaps, but the other I am still having a hard time deciding on where it should go....

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMan916 /forum/post/14325454

ok, so let's say I either get a recliner or reposition the couches....what would be the best placement for the rears? one by the cluster of pictures perhaps, but the other I am still having a hard time deciding on where it should go....

The best placement would be according to the Dolby link that was supplied above. Good surround sound depends on appropriate angles to the listener. If that means you have to use stands, or move some pictures around, so be it; that is if you want the Best placement.

No surround speakers is better than compromised surround speakers imho because compromised surround speakers just make unbalanced noise that is very distracting and takes away from the front stage and the screen.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
HI JON!

Where ya been? I gave up on the room btw. Split the treatments b/w living room and HT...

anyways, ruadmaa, I've been slowly notching down my surround levels due to reasons that are somewhat related with what Jonomega is saying.

There might be nothing more annoying than having a single surround speaker running hot, close to head, where surround effects basically swing from very subtle cues from other parts of the room to blasting you with the ultra localizable nearby surround. JMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts