AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be hooking up my new 32 inch TV in a couple of days. In an on-line review of the TV I bought someone claimed that after 15 minutes of watching the TV with a speaker nearby, they were able to see damage to the picture tube!!!!

I have been merrily watching my cheap 27 inch TV with my Infinity speakers and subwoofer close by and saw no damage. So what's the scoop on speaker placement near a TV? How far away/close is "safe"?

Andy

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most home-theater speakers are typically magnetically shielded. There is no issue with damaging magnetic fields using such speakers. You can even have them sitting right on the TV.

Older non-shielded speakers are another issue. Typically, you would start noticing magnetic effects evidenced by color-blotching as you bring the speaker closer to the tube (this is NOT something you wouldn't notice if you do have non-shielded speakers - it is quite evident). So if you don't see it when you bring the speakers closer to the tube, you're fine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Conversely, if you do show these effects, simply move the speaker as far away as it takes to make the effect go away, then add a few inches for good measure. Note that exposing your tube to an extended period of such magenitc effects will have an adverse effect on your set, such that moving the speakers away may not entirely get rid of the issue. In any case, it doesn't sound like you have this problem, so don't worry about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.