AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My Pioneer HTD 5200V I believe it is is arriving next week. The room the home theater system will be in is somewhat small and square in a way. I was planning on putting the speakers in the four corners of the wall. Is that a good or bad idea?

Also, the receiver has a built in DVD player but I wanna use the RP82 when I get it. Is that still possible and if so, how would I do it? Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The four corners of your room isn't the best choice. You didn't say what type of speakers you have, floor standing, bookshelf, wall mount, in-wall?

Assuming that you have floor standing speakers a good starting point is have them as far out from the walls as your room/furniture allow, hopefully at least four feet from the front wall. Many speakers have a minimum distance from the listener that they need to be to be effective, if that is the case with your make sure your seating position is not to close to the speakers. Although, since you are setting up for HT the sitting distance that you need to comfortably watch your movies will dictate that. Start with the front left and right speakers at a 60 degree angle or less from you, which means each will be 30• from center. A 60• angle means the distance from the centers of the two speakers will be equal to the distance from the center seating area to each speaker. Don't put your center speaker in line with the left and right speaker, center speakers tend to collapse the soundstage as it is and putting it in line with the left and right speaker will make it closer to you then they are making it even worse. If possible place it in a line behind the front speakers so they make a slight arc and it is no closer than they are. Try your rear speakers at a angle of 110-120•. The rears are positioned at a different angle because of two things. One the shape of you ears are such that your ability to hear things in front of you is different from the way you hear things behind you. Two, there is often furniture, like the back of your chair or couch between you and the rear speakers. Which, may mean raising them up a little in the air.

Put your sub in either the front left or right corner of your room.

These reccomendations are only starting points. As you live with your speakers and room and become sensitive to slight differences try moving things around to see if you can improve on the imaging and sound stage depth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Im new to all this speaker stuff thats why. I dont know what speakers are within the Pioneer HTD5200 but I was planning on getting wall mounts. My room is square and sorta small. I was planning on putting my center speaker on the tv and the two front ones either in the corner of the wall or a little apart from each other on the wall and I'd do the same with the rear like line them up with the front. How much quality will be lost if I dont set it up correctly?

·
Registered
277 Posts
RimmyS, what you lose when you don't set your speakers up correctly is not getting the best imaging, soundstage, and with HT, smoothness of audio pans. If it is feasible, the 60 degree angle for your front speakers, and 110 degree angle from center for your rears should give you the best results. To achive the 110 degrees from center for your rears will probably mean mounting them on your side walls rather than your rear wall. Again, if it is feasible, try not to place your front speakers to high up. Sounds like the placement of your center speaker will put it closer to your listening spot than the front left and right. Look in your receiver manual to see if their is a speaker delay setting for this situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.