AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in the middle of remodeling my family room by adding recessed lights and a built-in entertainment center. My question pertains to speaker placement, i have a vaulted ceiling and would like to place in wall speakers in the room. i am curious if it would be better to place the speakers in the curve of the ceiling or the flat area of the wall. Which way would give me better acoustics. I am mainly going to be using the setup for movies, tv, and gaming. The speakers are going to be definitive tech uiw75 in wall speakers. The sitting area is about 8' x 13' the actual size of the whole room is 25' x 13'. so let me know position 1(cieling) or position 2 (wall). Your input would be greatly apprreciated i added some pics to help. I also still need to figure out sub placement , but that will be for later.

If this thread needs to be moved please to do so mods. I feel like i posted in the wrong section

rear speaker wall

[/IMG]

front speaker wall

[/IMG]

Built in cabinet not installed yet

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hello. I've reread your question and looked at your pictures. I think you may have more at stake with your overall sound than just position 1 or position 2.

The questions I would like to ask you:

1) I only see outlines for 2 speakers on the tv side and 2 on the rear wall. Are you intending 5 inwalls and a subwoofer for a 5.1 setup? Or are you going to have a 4.1 setup with a phantom center? Most HT setups prefer a dedicated center speaker, especially if it is the same speaker as the Left and Right Mains.

2) The L/C/R mains should be at mounted at or near ear level while listening at the sweet spot. The tweeters of these 3 frontwall speakers should be placed at ear level or at the very least, angling the tweeter toward the listerner's ears. Your pictures indicates placement of speakers above the tv screen, with little separation between L and R mains.

3) The rear inwalls could go in postion 1 in the curved section of the wall as easily as position 2. Here, you may want to audition them in a temporary placement so that you may hear them yourselves. I believe using position 1 may have an advantage to listen for; here, it is easier to angle speakers toward listeners than ones placed in wall in the flat section(position 2) of the drywall.

4) The front soundstage around the tv is more critical. In my opinion, only the center inwall speaker should be headed for position 2, centered on top of the tv picture screen. The other 2 Mains, L & R should be flanking the tv at least, even if you had to put them on the same line as the center speaker. Again, ideally, the tweeters for all 3 would be at ear level to the sitted listening position or sweet spot, by a combination of toeing in, up, or down said speakers. Most have to compromise with the location of the center speaker above or below the tv screen.

Try conceptualizing these quidelines and see if you can come back with a different schematic of possible speaker locations with your future entertainment center.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Mains (LCR) should be at ear level. The surrounds can be placed a bit higher.

As snpanago said, rethink the mains, and consider placing the surrounds on the side wall. You might want di-poles for a better surround effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry i should have stated that i will be running 5.1 and that the center will be below the t.v. in the cabinet. So honestly if i have to compromise by having the mains higher than ear level, which is going to be better position 1 or position 2. in all honesty if it is going to make that much of a difference should i just run some bookshelf speakers up front and some little in wall units in the back . i mean most of my sound will come from up front so it shouldnt matter that much where my rears are.

Sound quality is important to me but the i would like the whole package to be clean.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13evo /forum/post/17051910

My question pertains to speaker placement

I see an awful lot wrong there. Lack of symmetry, and speakers not at ear height for starters. This article explains the basics of proper setup, and hopefully you'll see ways to make your proposed setup closer to the ideal:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
In a movie theater, the LCR are at the same height behind the screen (in most modern theaters anyway). Imagine a bus or plane traveling across the screen. You should hear it moving L to C to R (or R to C to L), not above to below to above.

Even small satellite speakers near ear level will give you a better HT effect, than excellent speakers placed in the wrong position.

Before nailing down the locations, get a cheap 5.1 that let you experiment with the location using small speakers. Once the optimal location is figured out, you can replace them with the Def Techs.

The small speakers can later be used in the BR or sold. Cambridge Soundworks makes a nice little 5.1 to play with.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Judging from the stud placement of the front cabinet wall, you have over 6' of cabinetry to deal with. If you want it 'clean', you can build a niche in the cabinet to each side of the TV and then cover it will some speaker grille. This would put the L&R near to ear level, and match along with your center. You may also want to consider wall mounting a Mythos speaker to each side of the cabinet alcove. They would be in 'tune' to the other DefTech speakers, and the slight dimensional difference between those and your seating area would be easily handled by the bass management. For the rears, are you keeping the sofa pressed against the rear wall?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after doing a little more research i have decided to go with some bookshelf speakers in the cabinet to keep the speakers at ear level. My next question is do the rears matter at what height they are at? can i leave them up high on the ceiling or should i place them down lower in position 3 like the photo shows. thnx again for all the help.

[/IMG]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.