AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked around on here trying to find a speaker placement FAQ but I haven't seen one. Fortunately, most of my questions are few and simple, so maybe I can get a quick response and spare myself further time.

I will ask my quick questions first, and provide longer background information after so that you can read it or skip it as you prefer. I will say here, though, that it is a 5.1 system, and the rear speakers will have to be placed on the rear wall on each side of a loveseat. Everything (but the center and sub) will be wall mounted. The room is 12x12 and there is already something in the way in each of the corners. I will pull cable through the walls and ceiling (hopefully tomorrow) so I need to know where to put the holes.

Quick questions:

Question 1a: Should the height of the front speakers be at the midline of the TV?

Question 1b: Is 8' appart an ok distance for the front speakers?

Question 2a: Do the rear speakers get placed just high enough above ear level for all listeners to see them?

Question 2b: Do the rear speakers go as far apart on the rear wall as possible (8' or maybe 10' in my case)?

Long question:

Where would you stick the speakers given my room layout as described below?

It's a 12x12 windowless room with no space for speakers on the side walls (hence 5.1 and not 7.1). I suppose I could stick side channel speakers in the ceiling, though, but I have not given that much thought. Maybe a future upgrade...

All five speakers will be Anthony Gallo Micro's. They are 100W, 8ohm, 3" speakers. I haven't purchased anything yet, but will begin ordering (starting with the speakers) in the next day or so. They will all be wall mounted (except for the center, of course). I have a small area in an otherwise unusable corner that I have been saving for a small sub (possibly a Gallo).

The room is especially cramped due to a french door (the only entrance) centered on one side and a fireplace centered on the opposite.

All of the seating is along one wall. A recliner is smooshed into one corner, a loveseat is centered opposite the (soon to be) TV, and a bookcase occupies the other corner.

I have resigned myself to the fact that the recliner will not be within the sweet spot. If it can be included (better) somehow without having a rear blasting in it's ear, that would be great. Would pointing the rears toward the corners of the room accomplish this? I assume one of the rears will be directly behind the recliner.

I might be able to stick speakers on the fireplace and the french door frame. This would be a big pain, and I'd only do it if it was really worth it. Speakers here would not be symmetrically placed. Ceiling mounts are conceivable.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You should get all the speakers where the tweeters are as close to ear level as possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From everything I've read, you do want the L/R main channels 6-8' apart and with the tweeters centered in the screen (if possible). The rears even further apart and slightly above ear level so listeners won't have the sound blocked by the back of a sofa/chair. My current set up is close to that, but my rear channels are very high (8 1/2') because of the shape of the room. It still sounds great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also, since these are direct radiating speakers, you should get brackets that are adjustable (swivel) so you can point them directly at the listening position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.