AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have read that ideal placement for surround speakers (side speakers in 7.1 setup) should be at or just behind the main seating position.

1 - Is that correct?

2 - If the seating is 3 rows deep, and these speakers are at/behind the back row, does it kill the effect for the front row? (back row in primay seating position, but I don't want to leave front row folks out of the loop!)

3- should I split the difference and put them even with the middle row?

4 - how high from the floor should they be? (at ear level, ceiling, what?)

5 - how high from the floor should the rear surrounds be?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I have two rows and my surrounds are mid way between the rows at bottom height of 60"

I have seating row one of the floor level and row two is 15" high. Seems to work very well for both rows. You want them above ear level but not ceiling level.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
above ear level, but not ceiling level - front to rear placement not absolutely critical - gotcha!

Now to mounting - I know actual speaker mounts look better, but is there any other difference in using them vs just putting a screw in the wall for the speaker to hang on? (advantage of speaker being 3-4 inches away from wall instead of directly on the wall?)

My speakers do have the hole in them for this purpose. I don't know how speaker mounts attach to the speakers, so I don't know if mine are "ready" for that or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.