AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new home and I have 5.1 surround prewired in my ceilings. Four speaker connections 2 up front and 2 in the back. If I was to buy a 5.1 system how should I set it up? Rears hanging from the ceiling behind me and what about the fronts. Would there be any issues with the fronts hanging from the ceiling and center channel down by the tv? I can't hang the center channel from the ceiling so should I just bring all the fronts down and leave the rears elevated?

·
Registered
118 Posts
most of the stuff I've read indicates that one should only have a few feet difference between the elevation of the fronts and that of the center (my JBL's said 1.5ft, but sounded fine at 2.5ft). Also it seems to be better to have the tweeter on the mains at about ear hight, so you might want to bring them down. Surrounds should be set up so they are above your ear hight, so having them up hanging from on the ceiling and your mains down at the level of the TV.

That being said, you could try it then change it around if need be.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ideally, you want the tweeter of the fronts at ear level when sitting and i've heard that the rears should be at ear level when standing up. This is the way i have mine and can attest that it sounds like it works

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.