AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, building a house and this time I have a great room to deal with. Basement will be finished down the road with a proper home theater, but for now would like to be able to watch movies in the great room with a decent 5.1 setup.

-55" TV will be above the fireplace
-Electronics hidden behind TV? (Denon amp, cable box, chromecast)
-Center channel sitting on mantle?
-Surrounds built into ceiling?
-In wall sub, wired for stand alone if in wall is not good enough.
-Where to place front speakers?

Attached is the model home very similar to what we will be building as well as a floor plan.

Let me know your thoughts on what you would do. The windows and very high ceilings make it challenging.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would put the TV on the wall next to the fireplace. The reason is difficulty to place the LCR speakers as you alluded to.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If mounting (front, center, side, and optional rear) speakers at a height above ear-height, which is sub-optimal because at ear-height is best, they should ideally be tilted such way that their tweeters are pointing at your ears (with optional toe-ing depending on a number of factors, such as off-axis response). Also ideally, the front and center speakers should all be placed at the same height, although moving the center speaker down (or up) just a little bit is probably acceptable as a compromise, as long as it is tilted up (or down) accordingly. Similarly, the side speakers (and rear speakers, if any) should all be placed at the same height, albeit this height should not necessarily be the same as the height at which the front and center speakers are placed. So yes, some tradeoffs are possible in terms of speaker placement for practical reasons versus optimal sound, and, sure, a Room Correction System (RCS) such as Dirac Live can be used to provide more leeway in this regard. However, it is generally not recommended to tilt a front, center, side or rear speaker down more than 15 degrees, and, instead of completely relying on RCS to reduce (some of) the symptoms, a far better approach is always to treat the root cause of the problems by strategically placing speakers and room acoustic treatments (bass traps, absorptive panels, reflectors, diffusors) in the room. Room analysis software such as Room EQ Wizard (REW) and doing some (lots of) research on how to place speakers in a room and how to apply room acoustic treatment should be advised IMO.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. This obviously is not the main home theater room...I have an ideal basement setup for that. I knew this wouldn't be perfect, but I had not thought of the TV being too high above the fireplace. I will have to look at it again and see if mounting on the wall does make more sense with the furniture. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts