AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're changing over from a RPTV to a FP projector, and I'm trying to figure out what to do for front speaker placement.

The screen is a 118" diagonal with the bottom edge of the blackout trim about 20" off the floor. The mains are currently Infinity towers, (about 3.5 feet tall) and a CC3 center. The main listening position hasn't been determined precisely yet, but will be between 15 and 20 feet back from the screen.

Placing the mains to each side of the screen would put them about 10 feet apart, which is farther than I want. It would also place the center channel in a substantially different plane than the mains. I'm -thinking- about building stands for the mains that would put them on their sides right under the edge of the screen, tilted up and toed in to "focus" on the listening position. The center would be in the same plane, again tilted up at the same angle toward the main listening position.

Does this make any sense at all? It would put a boundary fairly close to the "bottom" edge of the drivers, but since it's heavily padded soft pile carpeting, I don't -think- I'll see much boundary effect. (The stands would not extend to the same plane as the speaker faces)

Ideas/suggestions gratefully accepted. I can replace the mains and center channel speaker if necessary, but I'm used to the Infinitys and they're long paid for. :)

Thanks!

--jim

· Registered
839 Posts
I use a center speaker stand from Wood Technology .

Certainly you can experiment with different speaker placements. I think they'd be just fine on either side of the screen.

You didn't consider getting a perforated screen did you?

My B&W speaker placements but I'm using a smaller screen too.

Mojo

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, She Who Must Be Obeyed nixed the perforated screen. It WILL be flat against the wall. I'd like to listen to one anyway, just to determine the occlusion/transparency effects for myself.

In any case, I don't know why I'm fighting side placement of the mains, other than I'm thinking that soundfield rotation across the front will be "lumpy". All speculation at this point; the real answer will be (as always) experimentation. The speaker-listener triangle for music would also be wider than I'm used to, but change isn't always bad.

Thanks!

--jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.