AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching my first bluray movie on my new speakers. I am wondering if they are mounted to high. I didn't choose to mount the speakers where they are, the wires in my house were already ran by the previous owner. The room isn't big and when sitting on the couch the rear surrounds are actually above and in front of my head. I was wondering if I should mount them on the wall behind me or maybe aim the speakers at the wall so the sound would reflect off of it? I was also thinking of taking the front speakers down and putting them on the hutch next to the center channel. Patching holes is no big deal.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Your front speakers are way way too high. Bring them down to about seated ear level. In the ideal 5.1 setup your surround speakers are meant to go on the side walls just behind the listener and about 2 to 3 feet above seated ear level aiming toward the listening position. If you do not have a side wall for each side of the room I recommend placing them on the rear wall, one above the window and the other near the corner. Place them both at the same height and angle them down and in if possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to try running the audyssey today on the denon to see if that changes anything before I start moving things. I didn't have time last night, I was busy trying to figure out how to wire all these components together. It's a smaller room with high ceilings.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree, your speakers - especially the fronts - are way too high. Repositioning them closer to ear level will be far more beneficial than anything Audyssey can do with them stuck way up there. By all means, move them first!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just aimed the speakers to the center of the couch. Would dropping them down a few feet really make a difference in a smaller room like mine?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 /forum/post/18167337

I just aimed the speakers to the center of the couch. Would dropping them down a few feet really make a difference in a smaller room like mine?

Which speakers your fronts or your surrounds? If your surrounds maybe not much difference. Fronts then yes, ideally you want the tweeters on the Front L/R speakers and the Center speaker to be the same height. Panning from Left to Right will be much better with the front 3 speakers near the same height. Example: with your Front L/R so high if a plane flies across the screen from left to right the sound will be up high and left then normal height and center then up high and right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18167868

Example: with your Front L/R so high if a plane flies across the screen from left to right the sound will be up high and left then normal height and center then up high and right.

That makes sense to me. If I had floor speakers the center channel would be about 3 feet higher though so it would go low-high-low. Where as my speakers are about 4 feet higher than the center. I just tried it out with a few different scenes in movies and I can't tell a difference with the heights. Maybe the scenes where too fast? IDK. I finished the audyssey set-up as well and everything sounds even better now.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Ok thats good. If it sounds good to you keep it that way. BTW I didn't see at first where your center was. To me thats too high also. Is there any way you can put your center just below the screen? But if you do that you may notice a height difference between speakers then and then have to move the L/Rs down as well. Personally I would rather have a lower speaker aimed up then a higher speaker aimed down but thats just me. I have a 55 inch HDTV rear projection and I have my center speaker on top of the tv right at the front edge aimed down toward ear level, but I tried it on the floor on a stand aimed up and liked it better but it didn't look good at all. So its back on top now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts