AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was wondering if the speaker arc arrangement for the front left center and right speakers matter that much if you use Audyssey to calibrate your speakers?

The reason is because I have my front left center and right speakers back against a wall and it would cause a tripping hazard if I had my right front speaker moved forward any more than it is presently.

I know you aren't supposed to have the speakers so close to the wall either, but that's a whole other issue. Basically, does Audyssey really compensate well for lack of a front speaker arc layout? So far I've only had my speakers set up without the arc and I haven't tried with it yet, hoping I won't have to if Audyssey will compensate completely. Anyone have experience in this area? thanks

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLarry  /t/1472635/speaker-placement-without-arc#post_23313292

Hello. I was wondering if the speaker arc arrangement for the front left center and right speakers matter that much if you use Audyssey to calibrate your speakers?
I don't have my speakers in an arc, and I don't use audyssey. While there is some justification for an arc in theory, the actual benefit is slight, too slight to be concerned about.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Virtually all room correction systems, including Audyssey, automatically or manually adjust delays to compensate for speaker placement relative to the listener (microphone). You'll be fine.

Some speakers are made to be placed near a wall, others not, but in either case the usual results are more bass and more early reflections. The former Audyssey will correct; the latter requires room treatment (typically absorption or diffusion panels) if they are a bother.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50  /t/1472635/speaker-placement-without-arc#post_23314032

Virtually all room correction systems, including Audyssey, automatically or manually adjust delays to compensate for speaker placement relative to the listener (microphone). You'll be fine.

Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking. I just keep seeing things like the Dolby speaker arrangement diagrams with the arcs and think I'm not optimizing everything. I wish they would put footnotes on their diagrams that say something about how receiver software can compensate for speaker arrangement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To me, being an old school 'rookie', there are too many variables for any auto-generated SW to be of much help unless you have a perfect listening environment. I don't having 2 hallways and an eight foot opening into the dinning area. If you have more than 2/3 seating locations then pick the most used and TUNE accordingly.

Most of the foks here who get all worked up over the SWare tuning have HT rooms or the like. In those cases then the Audyssey EQing is of great benefit. I retired, downsized to a condo but NHTs and Def Techs are sounding Great, without Audyssey tune---- although there is only one WallOfSound location..... the spot of the loveseat that's pretty obvious being sunken down 3 INCHES !

Remember, Have Fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts