AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently switched from analog out to digital coax out from my htpc into my avr. I switched mobo's as well. Now every once in a while I will get a slight pop coming from my speakers, not incredibly loud, but loud enough to hear. It doesnt sound like to me like its damaging the speakers, just annoying.

I've never had a problem with my avr before(onkyo 604), so my thoughts are an issue with the connection between mobo and avr. I've tried different cables, as well as isolating it from other cables such as power and other video/sound cables to no avail.

I also run everything through a power conditioner.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Are you using a decent quality digital coax cable between the HTPC and Onkyo? You should be using a 75 Ohm shielded coax, preferably one that's been tested/rated for digital transmission. Another thing to try is optical fibre Toslink if your HTPC card has that as an option.

Greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm using a decent quality cable, although it is a little old, and i dont have the option of using toslink. I was going to pick up a monster digital cable(even though I think their cables suck ****) to see if that fixes the problem so I dont have to wait a week for blue jeans to ship one.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are your drivers up to date on the Mobo?

I can't really think of anything else. Have you tired using the same coaxial cable plugged into the same input on the 604, with a different source? Cheapo DVD player comes to mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep I searched for drivers last night and found no new ones. At least for my mobo and soundmax digital audio.

I will try a different source tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts