AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two options for my front surrounds. The first is with the speakers in the corners pictured here.

A

The other option is with the speakers on the mantel pictured here.

B

So which setup would produce the best sound.

Thanks

HOPTOAD

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Neither position is ideal, obviously. The mantel position will arguably provide improved sound quality, but will be a much more restricted front soundstage. The corner positions, conversely, would provide a very wide soundstage (likely too wide, given the size of the speakers, so the pans wouldn't be as smooth left to right), but because of reflections and corner-loading of the speaker the sound would be more compromised.

So, of those two positions, I would vote for the mantel. However, if you can wall mount them in the corner, is there anything specific preventing you from mounting them about 2/3 of the way between the TV and the pictures on either side (i.e., closer to the pictures), which will help widen the front soundstage a little bit? If cables are the problem, you could always cover them with a plastic-type strip and paint the strip the same color as the wall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[

So, of those two positions, I would vote for the mantel. However, if you can wall mount them in the corner, is there anything specific preventing you from mounting them about 2/3 of the way between the TV and the pictures on either side (i.e., closer to the pictures), which will help widen the front soundstage a little bit? If cables are the problem, you could always cover them with a plastic-type strip and paint the strip the same color as the wall.[/quote]

The problem lies with the fireplace, it is actually off center and the stud on one side is at 12 inches and the stud on the other side is 16 so if I mounted to the studs they would be off. There is also a WAF factor coming into play as well, 2/3rds of the way to the picture is too far out for my wife. I could go out about two to four inches from the edges of the mantel (on the inside of the light switch to the left) then wall mount but that is as far a spread as the WAF would allow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts