AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I will open a whole can of worms because I have read the past threads on this topic but here I go.....

Is this pretty good speaker wire? http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

I need to run it in-wall and this is "THX-certified". This is $.55 per foot. I have seen the Home Depot speaker wire (which has been talked about here) for around $.25 - $.30 per foot. Is it worth it to pay a little extra to have the better wire?

Thank you

Gary

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The THX certification for speaker wire is nothing more than an advertisement tool. You should be aware that Monster paid a hefty loyalty to get it, which has to be paid off by the customers (and they will get nothing). Monster products are in general overpriced; all they do is to buy an OEM raw cable, package it into a nice brand box, and sell it for several times the raw price. In contrast, the UL certification is relevant with respect to fire resistance of the wire.

Here is an example of a much better deal. This one is 12-gauge as compared with the Monster's 14-gauge, which will limit the acceptable wire length to 40 feet or less. Wire gauge is highly relevant when a long cable run is required, in order to minimize electrical resistance. It is UL-certified, too. And it is even cheaper than the Home Depot wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.