AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a pair of speakers and I was looking for some guidance or recommendations. I want to use the speakers for parties at my house, DJing in medium-large sized rooms, and playing music at low volume in my house. I'm willing to spend about $200. Should I buy used or new ones? What features/qualities should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations on models would also be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
That's a really small budget. You might be able to pick up a pair of floorstanding JBLs off craigslist for that much, if you're patient. Don't expect miracles though.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Other options:

Polk Monitor 50:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290013

Jamo 660:
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._-1__0_0_0_-1/

But if it's a relatively large room, I have a feeling none of them will deliver substantial punch at a party. Alas, it's all relative... it just depends to what you're used to. If one's point of reference is a set of tiny computer speakers or something ala Bose Acoustimas, then these towers may be great in comparison. Not trying to be condescending here... just pointing out that there is only so much you can do with a limited budget.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I hope this doesn't offend you but you should save up some more money. There are lots of speakers that may work for you, but you won't be able to get very far with your budget. My whole theater consists of all Cerwin Vega speakers. From the smallest to their largest. I have a pair of CLS215 speakers that I use for listening to music only. They are really big. They sound great as long as you set them up properly. Pre-amp power amp with pro a 31 band EQ. I know how hard it can be to want a certain result on a limited budget. I have been there also. My best advice is to save up.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/17042434

You might be able to pick up a pair of floorstanding JBLs off craigslist for that much, if you're patient.

I'll second this. If you pay attention you can get some good deals on CL! Find something cheap and big.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you can stretch your budget at least a little more, you might also look into B-stock speakers from various internet-direct companies, such as Aperion audio. If you check on their website regularly, you might come across something you like for a reasonable price - free shipping and no tax as well!

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/17042615

I'll second this. If you pay attention you can get some good deals on CL! Find something cheap and big.

yep used jbls or cerwin vegas off craigslist

1 - 8 of 8 Posts