AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me as I am new to the domain of home audio, but was looking for some guidance.

some background:

I am planning on purchasing my first home theater system in a couple of months once there are more receivers on the market that offer HDMI 1.3 (from what I have read Onkyo has some receivers comming out in May, and Sherwood Newcastle has some coming out in August)

I have always wanted a system with floorstanding front speakers, but have a budget of $1,500 for the speakers and subwoofer (very tight I am noticing).

I am looking at a 5.1 configuration as the room is rectangular 12x17x7(height) but the viewing area is relatively small (I have a 30 inch high definition Sony TV that sits only about 6 feet from the viewing area.)

I would use this system for both movies and music (however, I am primarily a movie watcher)

I enjoy listening to clean, crisp sound and prefer clarity over loudness.

the questions:

The speaker systems that I tend to keep going back to are the Klipsch Synergy series (SF-1s through SF-3s), but are there other speakers that are a better value for this price range? (I have found the Klipsch 5.1 Sf-1s with a 10" sub for around $1000 total)

Also, would I need a sub for a system in this small of an area?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Monitor Audio Bronze Package? I'm not sure it fits in your budget though... probably.

www.monitoraudiousa.com

2x BR5

2x BRFX or B1

1x BRLCR

+ sub of your choosing.

EDIT: I think a SUB is necessary for HT, regardless of listening space... speakers just can't go as low as a good old 12" cone (or maybe 10" cone in your case). Even if it doesn't go super loud, it will give you the weight needed for most action/high-budget sci-fi movies.

·
Premium Member
14,792 Posts
If you're getting a sub anyway, why spend the money on floorstanders? Get bookshelf speakers with decent extension and spend the money you save on a better sub.

Craig

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow61095 /forum/post/0

Please forgive me as I am new to the domain of home audio, but was looking for some guidance.

some background:

I am planning on purchasing my first home theater system in a couple of months once there are more receivers on the market that offer HDMI 1.3 (from what I have read Onkyo has some receivers comming out in May, and Sherwood Newcastle has some coming out in August)

I have always wanted a system with floorstanding front speakers, but have a budget of $1,500 for the speakers and subwoofer (very tight I am noticing).

I am looking at a 5.1 configuration as the room is rectangular 12x17x7(height) but the viewing area is relatively small (I have a 30 inch high definition Sony TV that sits only about 6 feet from the viewing area.)

I would use this system for both movies and music (however, I am primarily a movie watcher)

I enjoy listening to clean, crisp sound and prefer clarity over loudness.

the questions:

The speaker systems that I tend to keep going back to are the Klipsch Synergy series (SF-1s through SF-3s), but are there other speakers that are a better value for this price range? (I have found the Klipsch 5.1 Sf-1s with a 10" sub for around $1000 total)

Also, would I need a sub for a system in this small of an area?

If you are considering your system for HT, I would probably consider the F-2 or above. There are other systems that you could also check including Polk, Infinities, Ascends, etc. But your budget will limit you somewhat in your selection. One thing you may want to consider are bookshelve based HT system, rather than the floorstanding systems. They will cost you a little less, and if you are matching them with a sub, they should be just fine. You could get the speakers and the sub separately, or you could go with a system like the SVS or HSU HT systems.

Speaking of subs, if you are seriously interest in purchasing a system for home theatre applications, a sub is an absolute must. In a 1428 area, you may be able to get an 10" SVS or HSU that will serve you well in that much space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.