AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of building my dedicated Theater and my installer is recommending Triad Speakers.

One question I have is, anyone with first hand knowledge of these speakers, he was recommending the Gold 6 in walls for the side and rear surrounds. What I was thinking is with the amount of information being sent to the side and rear surrounds, wouldn't the Silver 6 in walls do just as well?

Then I can put more money into the front three and subs.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
to pursue excellence the surrounds should be same as fronts using gold 6

to save a few bucks and compromise of course you can go with silver 6 surrounds

even mediocre identical speakers all round can better a front heavy system if your intention is to have surrounds. otherwise just go with a good 2 channel system

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Which Triads do you have and where are they located? In a dedicated THeater or Music Room???

My purpose is in a dedicated Theater. I am in the building stages at this time. My room is 17' x 25' x 10' high. I want to have a speaker system that will fill the room, is very dynamic and will work well with movies and music.

Any other ideas for a room this large??

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapozzoli /forum/post/0

What I was thinking is with the amount of information being sent to the side and rear surrounds, wouldn't the Silver 6 in walls do just as well?

Then I can put more money into the front three and subs.

Your general assumption is correct.

cpu8088's response ("even mediocre identical speakers all round can better a front heavy system") is, to be diplomatic, absolutely not true.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
here i quote again:

for your info (from dominic baker, the design engineer of utopia series):

"if your front speakers have 24db/octave slopes to get the sound clean, and your center channel has an 18db/octave slop (because it looks like a d'appolito on its side, and everyone knows 18db works best in d'appolito configurations), and your rear channels have a first-order crossover (most do because it costs less, and companies know that no-one wants to pay much for surround channels because they don't do much), the result is that you end up with a fundamental phase problem that guarantees the system will never "work" no matter how carefully you position the speakers or play around with your receiver's controls.

and you will find that we say you should not mix speakers from the cobalt range with those from the chorus range in the same system and expect a good result. but if you mix speakers from within one of our ranges, you will be amazed. put any five chorus models in a system and it will work straight away. why? because all chorus models have the same tweeter, the same midrange, the same crossover point and the same filter slopes."

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand, So to put that in relation to Triad, because you were quoting JM Labs, That the Triad Golds are the best compliment to the Triad Platnium's. Correct.

Since you are talking about JM Labs, do you have any recommendation for a theater speaker system???

THanks

Chris

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
for Triad speakers best to consult fellow avs member Paul Scarpelli

do a search and pm him.

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu8088 /forum/post/0

i like this setup

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=779342

That is a hell of a set-up at the price point. Triad is great too. You should be ok with the silvers for surrounds. Have you seen this review of the Platinums, http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html They are using some silvers but not the in-walls for surrounds. Still I think the better the higher quality the surround are the better the system will sound. My room is close to the size of yours, 25X17X9. It took two Martin Logan Descents to make me happy with the bass. You too may find that you need some quality subs to fill the room. If I were forced to choose better surrounds or better bass, I would chose better surrounds.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have decided to go with teh gold in wall surrounds. At least I will get the brackets in the wall. I will put off the purchase for a while. AS far as the front three, still undecided, but it will either be the platinum or Gold LCR's.

As far as subs go I am going to use a couple of IB subwoofers under the floor along with some in room subs for tighter bass.

It is a large dedicated room, so I do not want to cheat what the room is intended for.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
This might be obvious, but whatever you do, DO NOT put the surrounds in the ceiling. Put them in the walls. Coverage will be a LOT better.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
even mediocre identical speakers all round can better a front heavy system if your intention is to have surrounds. otherwise just go with a good 2 channel system

I also, *completely* thoroughly and vehemently disagree with that. That's absolutely terrible advice, especially in an HT-heavy system. For multichannel music, identical speakers all around as ideal is more important, but for HT absolutely the fronts are way more important and not-matching to the rears perfectly is okay. I am not aware of any commercial cinema *anywhere* that matches all their speakers identically. You do want to timbre-match though, which should be fine is you stay with the same brand.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
The front three primary speakers should always be identical. Vertical left and rights plus a horizontal center are not identical (they can be close, but not identical). Don't get tied up in knots over this "phase" thingy. Phase changes with by frequency and distance.

If you're using two side surrounds and those speakers are closer than 15' from the seating position, those speaker should be dipolar or bipolar, not monopole. If you're using more than 2 side surrounds, then monopoles can be used but the calibration should be left to an experienced expert.

For the rears, if you have some form of decorelation, you can perhaps get away with monopoles but it is not at all recommended for systems primarily for movies (and for music there's nothing you can ever do to make it right all the time).

Thus you could use either the Triad gold surrounds or silver surrounds. While the timbre between the surrounds and the LCRs will be close, it will not be identical and never can be identical once the speakers are mounted in your room. So fret about bigger problems (like smooth base response).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.