AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this topic so please excuse the newbie question....

If I'm looking to purchase the following two items, is this woofer far superior than the receiver? Would this be a wise coupling? I'm not fully understanding how to interpret watts...the receiver doesn't list the watts for the subwoofer (or does it) while the subwoofer itself can handle 460w.

Do you ideally want to match the wattage per channel of the receiver with the wattage of the speaker? Is it a waste of money if the speaker wattage is so much higher than the receiver wattage?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-...ef=pd_sim_e_22

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR507.../dp/B001VEI290

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knineteen /forum/post/18287380

I'm new to this topic so please excuse the newbie question....

If I'm looking to purchase the following two items, is this woofer far superior than the receiver? Would this be a wise coupling? I'm not fully understanding how to interpret watts...the receiver doesn't list the watts for the subwoofer (or does it) while the subwoofer itself can handle 460w.

Do you ideally want to match the wattage per channel of the receiver with the wattage of the speaker? Is it a waste of money if the speaker wattage is so much higher than the receiver wattage?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-...ef=pd_sim_e_22

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR507.../dp/B001VEI290

Recievers only drive the speakers (front, left, center, etc). The sub is powered by its own amp, which is why you dont see any details as to the wattage for it. The reciever simply sends the signal to it with any modifications you have made to it, i.e. setting the crossover frequency to 80hz. The sub's amp does any amplification needed and bam, your set. **Note** This might not be the most accurate description of what goes on, but it works I hope

As far as pairing those two, your choices are fairly common and there would be no problems.

When looking at regular speakers (front, left, center) you will want to look try and purchase 8 ohm speakers with high effeciency (90+). These speakers will be easier for the reciever to drive than less efficent ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /forum/post/18287477

Recievers only drive the speakers (front, left, center, etc). The sub is powered by its own amp, which is why you dont see any details as to the wattage for it. The reciever simply sends the signal to it with any modifications you have made to it, i.e. setting the crossover frequency to 80hz. The sub's amp does any amplification needed and bam, your set. **Note** This might not be the most accurate description of what goes on, but it works I hope

As far as pairing those two, your choices are fairly common and there would be no problems.

When looking at regular speakers (front, left, center) you will want to look try and purchase 8 ohm speakers with high effeciency (90+). These speakers will be easier for the reciever to drive than less efficent ones.

Ahh, makes sense! Thanks for the help!

Would this paring along with the following be a reasonable system? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a reasonable system and not sure if I should be purchasing speakers individually or together in a kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269004

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knineteen /forum/post/18287821

Would this paring along with the following be a reasonable system? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a reasonable system and not sure if I should be purchasing speakers individually or together in a kit.

that'll work nicely

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knineteen /forum/post/18287821

Certainly be reasonable setup. Set the Cross-over on your reciever to 120hz and you will be all set. (as for the sub turn the X-over on that to 160). With a 12" sub you will certainly not be lacking in the bass department.

What is the size of your home theater room?

FYI: Polk Subs aren't the most highly revered around here, I guess people have issues with them. I personally love my polk products but I have a small budget and small viewing room

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18287931

FYI: Polk Subs aren't the most highly revered around here, I guess people have issues with them. I personally love my polk products but I have a small budget and small viewing room

I am one of those, however there are instances where it is not horrible. A lot of it just has to do with the performance/dollar not being as good as some of the other Internet Direct compaines (BIC, Dayton, etc).

With that setup though the Polk will do well and overall how it is recieved is based on what the users needs are. It will obviously not go as low and loud as the SVS PB-12NSD, but it also costs less. You have trade-offs with most subs, so its just knowing which ones your choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18287931

Certainly be reasonable setup. Set the Cross-over on your reciever to 120hz and you will be all set. (as for the sub turn the X-over on that to 160). With a 12" sub you will certainly not be lacking in the bass department.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding you normally want to cross-over at 80hz for everything, or if nothing else at 70 for the speakers and 80 for the sub. If thats not the case please let me know why you would do that.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /forum/post/18287996

I am one of those, however there are instances where it is not horrible. A lot of it just has to do with the performance/dollar not being as good as some of the other Internet Direct compaines (BIC, Dayton, etc).

With that setup though the Polk will do well and overall how it is recieved is based on what the users needs are. It will obviously not go as low and loud as the SVS PB-12NSD, but it also costs less. You have trade-offs with most subs, so its just knowing which ones your choosing.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding you normally want to cross-over at 80hz for everything, or if nothing else at 70 for the speakers and 80 for the sub. If thats not the case please let me know why you would do that.

It all depends on the speakers this guy plans to use largely, this guy is looking at Smaller Energy Takes 5.0 which only go as low as 110hz on the Center and 115hz on the Satelites. So I am giving speaker specific advice to the guy. Thats why I didn't agree with you, otherwise there would be a sound gap. I would suggest a different cross-over if his speakers would go lower or higher

BIC H100 is one sub that can be had for the same price as the Polk. And the Bic v1020 and v1220 are in this guys price range as well

Generally the complaints with Polk PSW's relate to the PSW10 which I am not going to lie is a bit under powered for a 10" sub and for a few exta dollars you can get something better

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18288056

It all depends on the speakers this guy plans to use largely, this guy is looking at Smaller Energy Takes 5.0 which only go as low as 110hz on the Center and 115hz on the Satelites. So I am giving speaker specific advice to the guy. Thats why I didn't agree with you, otherwise there would be a sound gap. I would suggest a different cross-over if his speakers would go lower or higher

BIC H100 is one sub that can be had for the same price as the Polk. And the Bic v1020 and v1220 are in this guys price range as well

Generally the complaints with Polk PSW's relate to the PSW10 which I am not going to lie is a bit under powered for a 10" sub and for a few exta dollars you can get something better

That makes total sense. Thanks for explaining!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.