AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and to serious audio equipment. I'll be moving into a new place in the spring and want to put together a decent system for movies/ audio (50/50 use) that will fit into a budget of approx $1500. I was hoping I could get some

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
1500 for everything? If so....

200-300 AVR

300-500 sub (pretty big room, so you will need a decent sub)

800 speakers

I have two sub 200 dollars avrs and both have enough power for my systems . Only one has room correction (Yamaha)...

Subs, well the lowest you should go is the EMPtek 1010i. My room is similar in size to yours and that sub has enough boom, but a 12 inch svs would be a step better. EMP sub, 250, svs, 500 dollars.

Speakers? Well, for 800 dollars, you could get two sets of def tech sm350/450 series and the matchin center. Or infinity primus p163s....or Pioneer bs 21/22s...or EMP e5is. Those are the ones I have heard extensively, so I will stop these.

As hard as it is today, you really have to try to find a way to hear these speakers and preferably in your home!

Sorry, mixed up the info from yours and another post...everything valid except reference to room size!

Reactions: Stephpo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks! Yes, I had read some great reviews about the Pioneer 22's as well as the Music Hall Marimba's. Do you think the sub would help fill in the bass that might be lacking in the bookshelf speakers? I don't know how easily I'd get speakers into the new place to try out around here. Besides Best Buy there's only one custom audio place and they only stock Paradigm in my price range. 

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
The Pioneer BS22 might be the best speaker for the dollar. Again, my opinion doesn't matter, but I didn't like it much when I demo it versus a pair of Polk M40s in my own home. The Pioneers went back to Best Buy! However, with time I have found I don't care much for the Polks either...

I think the Def Tech SM350/450, the Infinity Primus p163, and the Cambridge Audio S30 are all a step up from the Pioneer...but also, all more expensive than the Pioneer, so they should be!

Which Paradigm speaker do they have? Never heard the brand, but clearly they have a rep for making good speakers...

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Cambridge Audio might be a good choice here. Their S70/S50/S30 are at close-out prices right now at www.accessories4less.com (and they are new) and would be a great choice.

A pair of the S70 towers, S50 center, and S30 bookshelves would make a great system. The set would only run you $580, this is a very good price for these, and that leaves you a nice chunk for a receiver and good sub. Something like the Denon AVR-1713 would be good if you just need 5.1, otherwise the 1913 for 7.1. With the rest, pick up a Rythmik LV12R, this is an excellent sub and probaby the best in it's price range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'll take a look at what you've suggested. I have no issues with paying more than for the Pioneers. I realize they're good for that price point but if I can get a better sound for a few more bucks it's worth it. The local a/v place carries the full Paradigm line I believe but the models that work budget and size wise for me are the Mini Monitor or Atom Monitor. $600 & $400 a pair. There's a place that carries the Wharfedale Diamond Series about an hour and a half from here so I may go have a listen to those. The whole idea of buying speakers before listening to them is a little daunting....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1500573/speaker-receiver-selection-help-for-newbie-please#post_23972713

Cambridge Audio might be a good choice here. Their S70/S50/S30 are at close-out prices right now at www.accessories4less.com (and they are new) and would be a great choice.

A pair of the S70 towers, S50 center, and S30 bookshelves would make a great system. The set would only run you $580, this is a very good price for these, and that leaves you a nice chunk for a receiver and good sub. Something like the Denon AVR-1713 would be good if you just need 5.1, otherwise the 1913 for 7.1. With the rest, pick up a Rythmik LV12R, this is an excellent sub and probaby the best in it's price range.
Thanks, I'll have a look at the Cambridge. Sounds like some great prices!  Definitely not going past 5.1 for a setup, possibly only 3.1 to start. I can always add later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts