AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Thanks to batpig, I have finally decided on buying Denon 890 (after reading around for a week, full time, this was a tough choice). I am now researching for speakers, which is probably an even bigger choice to make. Please send across your recommendations. Here is the constraint set:

-> 5.1 setup, need this to last for some time at least (like don't think beyond this for next 4-5 years)

-> Not a big gamer. Mainly living room BD Movies, Cable, Netflix Movies, Some games (XBox360/PS3), and not-extremely-loud music, iPhone music as well

-> Probably max budget of $1K (really a stretch, prefer something around the $600-$800) for 5.1 speaker set

-> No wall mounts, need to go for stands for both front and surround speakers.

-> Sofa Set is all black, probably cherry may not go very well with it.

Till now. I seem to like Energy Mini (or Take Classic, or Micro). Not really researched much on this. Any other recommendations for deals, speakers, stands etc. will be very helpful.

Waiting for some good recommendations here. Will upload pictures of the setup soon as I am done purchasing and setting it up.

Thanks,

Adhyas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small room, about 12x12, this may change slightly (I rent an apartment and we are planning to move sometime this year). Overall, I do not expect to move to a big hall anytime, just midsize room design. Thanks for the recommendation. I chatted with vanns rep online and he recommended Klipsch Synergy, Energy Mini and Boston Acoustics (the latter had a 15% discount if purchased through the chat). I have heard a lot about Polks, how do they compare with Energy?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Energy RC10 fronts, PSB B25s, or Boston Acoustics CS26 are all significantly better than the speakers you mention for that budget.

You should go listen to some speakers!

Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do people feel about the following configuration for speakers, with Denon 890 ? Should I upgrade either of these components, within my budget?

Energy RC10 Fronts

Energy RC-Mini Center

Energy RC-Mini Surrounds

Energy ESW V-8 sub

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I think I am pretty sure I would want to go with Energy RC10. They are up for $350 (all inclusive) at Vaan's. What I want to know now is whether I should go for 4 of them or two in a 5.1 setup (i.e. would it be overkill if I use them for surround as well, or should I use something else as I mentioned above). What about the center speaker and the sub ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can someone tell me where can I listen to the Energy speakers? Seems like neither BestBuy nor Frys carry them (at least nothing visible online)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhyas /forum/post/18306617

How do people feel about the following configuration for speakers, with Denon 890 ? Should I upgrade either of these components, within my budget?

Energy RC10 Fronts

Energy RC-Mini Center

Energy RC-Mini Surrounds

Energy ESW V-8 sub

I would get a better subwoofer Like the Bic H100 / F12. Either of those will do amazing for adding in the bass for movies

RC10s would be overkill for surrounds. I would rather spend the money on a dedicated surround speaker like the CR-10 but thats just me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18307668

RC10s would be overkill for surrounds. I would rather spend the money on a dedicated surround speaker like the CR-10 but thats just me

Thanks RC10 and CR10 are both priced same right now (Vanns is having RC10 for 349 a pair). If I am not saving any money on CR10, would you still suggest going for them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered Denon 890 and 4 RC10 speakers today. Vanns does not have Energy Mini Center Speaker available yet. Will look around else where. Do you know of any Energy authorized retailers where I can find it?

Now, I need to order the Sub and the wires. Which is a good site to buy the wires and other things? Is there a tutorial link that explains speaker setup in detail, that I can use to deploy my home theater?

PS: I overshot my budget on this one. Just realized this will cost me well above $2K. I hope I get the sound worth the money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Search around the forums and read similar threads, for speakers wires search for monoprice and blue jeans cable threads, there are lots, both are good quality and cheap.

As for speaker setup, search for speaker placement, it really depends on your room. Dolby has a guide, http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

I also found this episode of HD nation helpful: http://revision3.com/hdnation/hdnationepisode-13

And you should know of BatPig's site and he has a very nice setup guide for the receiver once the speakers are in place, http://www.batpigworld.com/setup.html

And for price, I'm not sure how much those speakers cost, but i've seen people suggest a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio for the cost of the receiver to speakers. A Denon 890 should not fit in a 1k budget, but with $2k you should definitely get good sound.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhyas /forum/post/18319337

I ordered Denon 890 and 4 RC10 speakers today. Vanns does not have Energy Mini Center Speaker available yet. Will look around else where. Do you know of any Energy authorized retailers where I can find it?

Now, I need to order the Sub and the wires. Which is a good site to buy the wires and other things? Is there a tutorial link that explains speaker setup in detail, that I can use to deploy my home theater?

PS: I overshot my budget on this one. Just realized this will cost me well above $2K. I hope I get the sound worth the money.

Get the rosenut RC mini center for $150. Its dark enough that it'll go well with your black RC-10s. I just received mine yesterday.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did overstretch myself ($2K+) on this. I got Denon 2310CI, 4 RC-10 Black, 1 RC Mini CC Glossy Black, 1 BIC H-100 Sub, 4 Sanus 31B Stands. Everything goes well with the aesthetics.

Thanks a ton for the sub reco crazyrob425, I really love the H-100. It gave my home theatre the life it wanted. Now I understand when people used to recommend to put enough money on the subwoofer, its really needed. And since this is my first home theatre setup, now I can appreciate all the recommendations I read on this forum earlier (about a 2 week home work before the purchase).

Audessey is just too good. I love everything in this purchase, till now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts